Friday, September 30, 2022

Same moths, lower quantity.

Friday 30th September 2022.


Some of the moths present this morning from my moth box, which include Lunar Underwing, Box Tree Moth, Large & Lesser Yellow Underwing and Feathered Ranunculus.

A very bright, blue sky start for the day and with a bit of visible migration going on overhead, I was more than happy to get started in checking my moths. I am still waiting for something different to turn up within the moth box, which I am sure will not be long, but still, it's always nice to get SOMETHING in the moth box and this morning, there were quite a few. In fact, there were 31 moths of just 7 species this morning, the lowest total this week and probably due to the cold overnight temperatures. 


Square-spot Rustic.

Several flocks of Meadow Pipits were seen and heard flying over and both Grey and Pied Wagtail were also heard, though not seen. Nearby, in one of the gardens to the south of me, a Chiffchaff was heard singing and it or another bird was doing its familiar ‘hooeet’ call to the north of my garden.     

This mornings moths present included the following:

  • 8 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 5 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 8 Lunar Yellow Underwing
  • 3 Feathered Ranunculus
  • 5 Square-spot Rustic
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 Box Tree Moth   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...