Sunday, September 4, 2022

A few butterflies & moths in my garden.

Sunday 4th September 2022.


One of two Red Admiral butterflies upon our Buddleia plant this afternoon.

It was a day of household chores and simply chilling out throughout this Sunday, but I did have time this afternoon to enjoy the butterflies (and moths) enjoying the garden, notably the Buddleia tree at the back of the garden. It was quite windy first thing this morning and what with it being bright, a very good day for washing the clothes. I read that Andy Johnson and Pete Gammage had a very distant large Shearwater, which was probably a Cory’s, off Sandy Point early this morning.


Above, the Old Lady moth that came out of hiding and ended up resting on one of my Polo Shirts. Below, one of two Small White butterflies nectaring on the Buddliea.

I kept an eye on what was being seen locally and the Spotted Crake and Bluethroat were again seen today, the latter species was seen tonight apparently as I was writing this entry to my blog! The Pectoral Sandpiper was still at Pennington Marshes along with SIX Little Stint, Knot and at least 10 Curlew Sandpipers. Even Farlington Marshes was sporting 2 Little Stints and 8 Curlew Sandpipers early this morning.


Above, another Red Admiral came into the garden and below, one of several Marmalade Hoverflies taking a break from hovering around! Earlier in the afternoon, a Batman Hoverfly (Myathropa florea) rested on my arm before shooting off over the garden!

Late afternoon, while enjoying a nice cup of coffee, I grabbed the camera to take some photos of our local butterflies and on the Buddleia, two Red Admirals and two Small White butterflies were nectaring on the flowers. While checking out that my moth box was nice and dry for tonight, I flushed an Old Lady moth that eventually perched on one of my Polo shirts hanging on the washing line! It eventually flew up and circled upwards to eventually fly off west over the rooftops.   


The Old Lady moth getting ready to take off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...