Tuesday, September 6, 2022

A 'Double-dip' this morning!

Tuesday 6th September 2022.


This gorgeous female Redstart cheered me up as I walked through the Churchyard at Church Norton.

Two Wrynecks at Church Norton and a Little Stint on the Ferry Pool it said on Birdguides this morning and 'Mugsy' here went all the way over there late morning and ‘dipped’ on both species! It was going to be a bit of a gamble as heavy rain was forecast this morning, coming in from the south; but all the area had at the time was a light shower, while Portsmouth was going through another deluge.

There was no sign of the Little Stint among the many waders on the Ferry Pool when I was there.

Instead of parking up on the reserve car park near Sidlesham Ferry Pool, I decided to park up in the lay by and watch from the edge of the road. Always a dodgy move, what with passing juggernauts belting past or ‘f**kwits sounding their horns to make you jump (yes, it did happen!). Nevertheless, I set up my scope and thoroughly checked the Ferry Pool for the juvenile Little Stint that was present this morning apparently. However, despite a lengthy time searching, I could not find the little bugger and made do with at least 6 Dunlin, a Common Snipe and a large mixed flock of Lapwing, Redshank and Black-tailed Godwit. But no Little Stint. There were at least 40+ Teal in eclipse plumage and no Garganey hiding among them.

One of the many Spotted Flycatchers behind the Hide late morning.

Earlier today, there was a Glossy Ibis at the back of the Ferry Pool, but that also had flown off in the direction of the Harbour apparently. The summering lone Brent Goose was present on the shallow water and kind of looked out of place, though skeins of this species should be arriving shortly to the south coast. I did spot a male Stonechat on the fence wire to the north of the Ferry Pool, but all was quiet. So, I made a hasty retreat to the car and tried my luck with the Wrynecks at Church Norton.

Two of the Spotted Flycatchers were joined by a Lesser Whitethroat (middle).

Joining a good number of birders behind the Hide overlooking the sheep field, my near hour wait for the Wryneck to show did not pay off. Fume! It had been seen about 20 minutes before I arrived here, but had flown off out of view on the northern end of the field, so said the local birders. Though disappointed, there was a supporting cast of at least 6 Spotted Flycatchers and a Lesser Whitethroat entertaining the small crowd present. Both Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker made a brief appearance, while overhead, good numbers of Swallows and Sand Martins were hawking for insects.


The Lesser Whitethroat (top) and a Spotted Flycatcher behind the Hide.

Eventually, I gave up in waiting for this Wryneck to show up and decided to make my way to the Severals where another Wryneck was seen earlier today. I met up with three of the RSPB guys who also had no luck in finding the bird, though I did see something fly into a small bush, but it failed to fly out when I approached the bush. All was extremely quiet here and the threat of rain seemed imminent, but the sun actually came out, heightening the chances of the other Wryneck to show, but when a fellow birder said there was no sign of the bird, I decided to give the Churchyard a good going over.


Top, a Great Spotted Woodpecker showed briefly behind the Hide. Below, a carpet of Chamomile and Antirrhinum on the beach at Church Norton.

Again, it was pretty quiet there, but I did find a nice female Redstart on the west side of the Churchyard that showed reasonably well. A Common Whitethroat was seen briefly over on the east side, but little else of note bar the many Hirundines flying over. It was low tide within the harbour and I could see a few waders on the mudflats, notably Dunlin and Ringed Plover and a Great Crested Grebe was seen swimming in the creek. So, I couldn't add to my year list today, but there is plenty of time to get some of these elusive birds on my year list, hopefully. 


This bench (although, possibly not the same actual bench) has many memories for me. When I was a teenager and also in my early twenties, when birding this place, I used to have my sandwiches on this bench with the likes of Geoff Farwell and Andy Fisher, whether it was rain or shine, we always had lunch here. 


Birding pal, Andy Friend, was a lot luckier than me as he managed to see the Wryneck at Peartree Green Nature Reserve, Southampton, yesterday on his 4th attempt. His 220th species seen in Hampshire this year. I wonder how many more are skulking around on the south coast?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...