Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Very quiet over the Cemy.

Wednesday 17th August 2022.


One of the paths leading to the Mausoleum. 

I took a stroll around Highland Road Cemetery again late this afternoon and to be honest, I probably would have seen more in my back garden! Earlier today, FOUR Pied Flycatchers were seen at the Paddocks area of Northney, Hayling Island, whetting my appetite and so surely there must be a Flycatcher species over the Cemy? Rain showers were predicted today and sure enough, we had a few light ones throughout the day, but not during my walk around my local patch.


Above, several Carrion Crows were within the Cemy this afternoon, with this individual searching for anything to eat within the short grass. Below, Common Knapweed growing on the south side of the Cemy. 

Sadly, there was hardly anything of note within the Cemy with just 9 species of birds either seen or heard (mostly heard) during my 45 minutes there that included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Robin
  • Goldfinch
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow 


Mallow was abundant throughout the Cemy. This was growing over on the east side.

I saw a Pied Flycatcher this time two years ago here and Spotted Flycatchers last year, but there was no sign of any today, although I will put money on it that at least one will pass through. Even insects were not showing, with only a few Common Wasps seen. The Council have been carrying out grass cutting this week, although there wasn't really that much grass to cut! I did find a few Common Knapweed flowers over on the south side of the Cemy, but not too much of note among the plant life.    


The cones on this Monkey Puzzle Tree took my eye. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...