Sunday, August 14, 2022

Another micro 'lifer'.

Sunday 14th August 2022.


My first ever Oak Carl moth, Tischeria ekebladella.  A very small moth woodland moth.

After a very balmy night, this morning was very still and calm as I went about checking the moth box. I awoke well before my 5.30am alarm went off and so got up and made a coffee before venturing outside in the dark! I could already see at least one Bright-line Brown-eye and Box Tree Moth on the sheet behind the box and a good number of micros buzzing around the moth box. Once it got a bit lighter, I then went out to check what I had caught overnight.


My first Agriphila geniculea of the year. This is a regular moth that I get in good numbers over the coming months.

There were 80 moths of 35 species this morning, which included my first ever Oak Carl moth, a very small beige coloured micro and also my first Agriphila geniculea of the year. The Currant Pug was present again, but not a great deal of excitement among the macro moths this time.

The following moths were present this morning:

  • 6 Garden Tiger
  • 2 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 2 Brimstone Moth
  • 1 Straw Dot
  • 4 Lime-speck Pug
  • 9 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Currant Pug
  • 2 Marbled Beauty
  • 3 Vines Rustic
  • 6 Small Dusty Wave 
  • 4 Setaceous Hebrew Character
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 Willow Beauty
  • 1 Buff Ermine
  • 1 Box Tree Moth
  • 10 Common Plume
  • 2 Beautiful Plume
  • 1 Broom Shoot Moth
  • 1 Coleophora salicorniae
  • 1 White-shouldered House Moth
  • 1 Mompha crocicapitella
  • 1 Agriphila geniculea (NFY)
  • 3 Diamond-back Moth
  • 4 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 1 Yponomeuta sp.
  • 1 Acleris laterana/comariana
  • 2 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 2 Pyrausta aurata
  • 1 Ephestia woodiella
  • 1 Blastobasis adustella
  • 1 Clepsis consimilana
  • 1 Bryotropha affinis
  • 1 Oak Carl moth (NFY + LIFER)
  • 1 Celypha striana
  • 1 Rusty-dot Pearl


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...