Thursday, April 21, 2022

Two more 'new for the year' moths.

Thursday 21st April 2022.

Left, Bright-line Brown-eye and right, the Cabbage Moth. Both were new for the year. 

There was a reasonable selection of moths in and around my moth box this morning with two new species added to my year list; a rather early Cabbage Moth and a Bright-line Brown-eye. Both reasonably common moths in my garden during the Spring and Summer months, but always nice to see. Up to 3 Early Greys were counted (I found another one late afternoon near the box). Interestingly, The Fern which I found at Portchester Crematorium could possibly have been the rare Cryptic Fern, a relatively new species that has only just been discovered and quite easily overlooked over the past few years. The Hampshire County Recorder made reference to it when he checked out my moth. I, for one, had never heard of this species, but I am convinced it is The Fern, judging by the markings on my other photos.

Moths present this morning in and around the moth box included the following:

  • 1 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Cabbage Moth
  • 3 Early Grey
  • 2 Brimstone Moth
  • 5 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 7 Common Plume.

On my travels today, there were a few notable sightings and it kicked off with Kestrel hovering by the B2166 to Pagham as we were making our way to Rose Green. From our Feltham Branch, there was a singing Chiffchaff seen high up in a small tree. Nearby, some two miles away at Elmer Beach, a Red-necked Grebe was swimming just offshore, but we were too busy to stop working. Sob!

One of three Early Grey moths this morning.

A Common Buzzard was seen soaring in the southern half of Gosport, one of at least 5 birds seen today including 3 around the M275. A Red Kite was seen soaring low over the countryside near Boarhunt as we ‘crossed country’ to get to Denmead from Portsdown Hill. Apparently, a Black Kite was soaring over Martin Down today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...