Wednesday, April 20, 2022

The Fern moth found at Portchester Crematorium.

Wednesday 20th April 2022.

The Fern moth that I found perched on the exit of the South Chapel of Portchester Crematorium. 

Sadly, it was back to work today and of course, I am always keeping an eye for anything of note when I am driving along during my working hours. It was a very early start today and by 7.30am, we were on our way to Rose Green, West Sussex where I had sightings of a Swallow over Hunston, near Chichester and a Med Gull flying over fields on the road to Pagham. The weather was good, with no rain showers like yesterday and it even got up to around 18 degrees in the sun.

On the way to Portchester Crematorium, a Red-legged Partridge was seen in one of the arable fields beside the main road on top of Portsdown Hill, but no raptors whatsoever were seen on the way there. When at the Crematorium, I had a check for moths and the only one found was a real stunner. It was my second ever The Fern, which was confirmed by the guys on Hants Moths. The only one I have ever seen of this species was an individual I found in East Prawle, Devon, many years ago. The moth was in the hotspot of the exit of the South Chapel. Where else!

A Kestrel and a Common Buzzard were seen over the grounds of The Oaks Crematorium as well as several Orange Tip and Small White butterflies flitting along the edge of the woodland. Not  a great deal else seen today, but I was more than happy with a good moth. Over in West Sussex, a male Ring Ouzel was spending its second day in a field at Greenlease Farm, Church Norton along with a variety of warblers in the area. Another Ring Ouzel was seen at Gander Down, in Hampshire today and in the north of the County, one lucky birder had a White Stork flying over her house. 3 Spoonbills were on Farlington Marshes today along with a Yellow Wagtail.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...