Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Midweek update.

Wednesday 12th January 2022.

Great Northern Diver off Black Point. Photo by Andy Tew. 

The first part of the week has endured mild temperatures but murky conditions, with Tuesday being a very misty, murky affair. Being at work, my birding opportunities normally lie when I am driving along or at a Crematorium or Cemetery due to my job and therefore, I am always on the lookout for anything interesting of note.

Above, the two Black-throated Divers in Chichester Harbour and below, a trio of Razorbills in the same harbour. Photos by Andy Tew.

On Monday, I was working over Warblington Cemetery and knowing full well that the Cattle Egrets were present here recently, it didn't take long to find at least four birds feeding by the roadside field among the grazing Cattle. I was driving slowly so I could view them through the roadside hedge and pointed them out to my ‘non-birder’ work colleague. Obviously, not a jot interested, but at least she acknowledged the sighting! To be honest, hardly anything else of note was seen that day; so moving on to Tuesday, I saw my first Grey Wagtail of the year, seen flying over The Oaks Crematorium while I was sitting in the car. Of course, I heard the bird first and hoping to grab my first sighting of one this year, I quickly hopped out of the car and watched the bird heading northbound and dropping towards the fountain area of The Oaks.


Above, this overwintering (?) female type Northern Wheatear was found at Lee on Solent by the airport while the finder was photographing a Black Redstart (below)! Photos by Graeme Loader.


On the subject of The Oaks Crematorium, work has now started in the field at the front of The Oaks for a new Housing Estate to be built. I, for one, find this extremely unpopular as the wildlife here and the neighbouring woods will be seriously affected in the future and anyway, why would anyone like to live in a property overlooking a Crematorium. Sadly, this is the way of this Government to build as many houses on green spaces as possible, ruining the countryside at any cost with greedy Councils raking in all the taxes etc. These houses will be unaffordable to first-time buyers anyway, but that's another subject that makes my blood boil.

The Great Grey Shrike photographed by Andy Tew this morning.

On Monday, the Great Grey Shrike that is wintering at Backley Common in the New Forest re-appeared, though proved quite elusive it seems. The Purple Sandpiper flock at Southsea Castle held 11 birds, however, they will probably depart soon due to the Council Work soon to be taking place there as part of the Sea Defence Scheme. Where will they end up? The Little Owls are back at Fort Cumberland and weather permitting, I have a day off this Friday and hope to catch a sighting of these delightful birds. Up to 4 Velvet Scoters are still off the Chalets at Hill Head yesterday and off Hayling Oysterbeds, the Long-tailed Duck was showing again as was the 2 Black-throated Divers off Black Point, Hayling Island.


One of the Short-eared Owls hunting over Thorney Island by Graeme Loader recently.


Andy and myself dipped on Saturday trying to view the female Red-crested Pochard, but it was present today in front of the Ivy South Hide and nearby, a flock of Lesser Redpolls were near the Woodland Hide at Blashford Lakes along with a Siberian Chiffchaff. Grumble! The latter species will eventually become a new species entirely, being upgraded from a subspecies.    


This two Gnat -like insects were mating on top of one of our vehicles this morning at our Fareham branch, making the most of the sunshine and getting 'jiggy with it!'

I regularly check Penny Clarke’s blog, ‘Penny’s Hot Birding and Life!’ to check up on what is happening in the birding world within North Norfolk. Becky and I are off there in a few weeks time for a relaxing week's stay in a Cottage within the village of Langham, which is only a stone's throw away from some superb bird reserve along the North Norfolk coast. This should help boost my year list and currently, there are Waxwing, Iceland Gull, Common Cranes, Taiga Bean Geese, Hen-harriers, Snow Buntings, Shorelarks and many other exciting species to add to my year list should I get lucky. I cannot wait. Even Becky has bought herself some new Walking Boots! Whether she uses them is another matter though!


This Mistletoe - clad tree by our Fareham branch, held a pair of Mistle Thrushes and good numbers of Wood Pigeons (on top of tree). 

Today (Wednesday), the weather changed much for the better, with a clear blue sky and hardly any wind. Yes, it was a bit fresh at first, but so much nicer than yesterday. Personally, I was working around both Portchester Crematorium and also Fareham Cemetery (for a change). The latter site had a Grey Wagtail flying over, my second of the year after the one I saw at The Oaks yesterday, but little else apart from the local Robins perching on the gravestones. Back at our Fareham branch, the neighbouring trees held a pair of Mistle Thrushes, though they didn't seem happy with all the Wood Pigeons occupying the canopy of the trees. A flock of Long-tailed Tits were joined by several Blue Tits as they roamed through the bushes and trees below the Pigeons. A Robin sang from one of the trees, while a rather tame male Blackbird allowed me a close approach as I made my way to the back of the site, where I disturbed our regular dog Fox that was resting in the sunshine. The Fox trotted off before my work colleague could get a look at him.




Above, Richard Tucker kindly sent over his photos of this superb Short-eared Owl hunting over Thorney Island recently. 

In the New Forest, the Great Grey Shrike performed well, albeit distantly to some of the ‘Lazee Birders (see photo) at Backley Bottom and the Long-tailed Duck was showing well from the car park at Hayling Oyster Beds along with 7 Black-necked Grebes. The Velvet Scoters are still off Hill Head and a Black-throated Diver was off Black Point again. Finally, I would like to thank those that have allowed me to use their superb photos on my blog; I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...