Monday, December 6, 2021

Working on the Isle of Wight today.

Monday 6th December 2021.


Goldfinches at Hayling Oyster Beds last Saturday. It was nice to see them on my feeder in my garden.

I was working on the Isle of Wight today, which meant a trip across the Solent on the Car Ferry at 9am. The sea state was relatively calm, but that was literally the ‘calm before the storm’ as by 11am, the heavy rain came in and remained that way till around 3pm. I am pleased to hear that the monstrosity built by the Isle of Wight Ferry Terminal, the Ben Ainslee Racing Headquarters is to be mothballed. How on earth that ugliness got planning permission is beyond belief. I wonder what those Council idiots have in store for us this time to replace it?

I got on one of the newer Car Ferries and was surprised at how filthy the seat I was sitting on was and don’t even go there with the windows! I was hoping to take a few photos using my mobile, but the heavily stained windows put paid to that idea. I hardly saw any birds while we sailed over to Fishbourne, bar a few Gulls that were mostly Black-headed, Common, Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls, though I did see a flock of 6 Shelduck flying west over the Solent. 


Brent Geese in Langstone Harbour near the Oyster Beds.

In days of old, I used to stand with my car overlooking the Solent with my binoculars when I spent a lot of my working days on the island, but now, because of Health & Safety (and probably due to a lot of suicides), one must vacate their car and go into the ship and wait till the order comes through to return back to the cars. How times have changed. Nevertheless, it was a calm crossing, but the worst of the weather was on its way.

Driving along the A3056, I saw a Kestrel hovering over the roadside verge just outside Arreton, checking out the rough grass below the bird. A little further along the road, a male Sparrowhawk flew south, being pursued by a Jackdaw until disappearing behind a small row of trees. A Covey of Red-legged Partridge was seen, approximately 12 birds in all, in a field on the corner of Downend Road and the A3056; all looking rather forlorn in the heavy rain. I was making my way to the Isle of Wight Crematorium and on arrival, a flock of 16 Redwing flew over, with a further 8 more birds seen a little later. This was the last place I had seen a Red Squirrel anywhere in the UK, but I think the bad weather put paid to seeing any today, although one of my work colleagues sees them most days on the island.


A nice mixture of birds in this photo by the Oyster Beds last Saturday, including Pintail, Wigeon and a feeding Curlew.

I caught the 3pm Car Ferry back home to Southsea and in Fishbourne Harbour, looking through much cleaner windows, I spotted a Grey Heron flying up the harbour and landing near a flock of Oystercatchers resting on an island at high tide. A Great Crested Grebe was seen swimming in the harbour as we were leaving and a small flock of Brent Geese flew in and settled on the calm water to round off a wet, but enjoyable day with the Isle of Wight crew.

It was fairly quiet today in Hampshire though there were reports of an adult Iceland Gull flying up the River Itchen, near Southampton. The Long-tailed Duck was seen again at the northern end of Langstone Harbour and the Jack Snipe was again seen from the Spurgin Hide, Titchfield Haven. Another Storm is expected to arrive tomorrow - Storm Barra, which I expect more wind and heavy rain. Joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...