Thursday, December 9, 2021

Nice variety of raptors on Portsdown Hill.

Thursday 9th December 2021.


This Great Northern Diver was seen exactly three years ago to the day from Broadmarsh Car Park. It showed superbly well during my stay there where I was to obtain some lovely photos of the bird.

The weather was much brighter and sunnier today and in the sunshine, it was fairly mild. I had a very busy day at work, which took me to Porchester a few times and also into Southampton and at least four times over the top of Portsdown Hill! Of course, even though I was driving all day, I did manage to see quite a few birds while on the move.

Raptors were in good numbers over the top of Portsdown Hill with up to 3 Kestrels seen, one hovering Common Buzzard, a male Peregrine soaring overhead and finally, a Red Kite that was seen late in the afternoon. The latter is still scarce around the south coast and only occasionally I would come across one. Other birds seen included a covey of at least a dozen Red-legged Partridges in one of the roadside fields, which I pointed out to my work colleague.

At Portchester Crematorium, a pair of Pied Wagtails and a Grey Wagtail were resting on the roof of the Crematorium and in the nearby trees by the railway line, a lone Redwing flew onto one of the tall Poplar trees and rested there, calling occasionally. I have virtually given up in search of any moths here now as I have not seen any at all for a few weeks now.


Another photo I took of the Great Northern Diver fishing off Broadmarsh Car Park.  

In Hampshire today, there were some nice birds inhabiting the Hampshire side of Chichester Harbour that included a pair of Black-throated Divers, 2 Great Northern Divers, a Red-throated Diver, 2 Razorbill, a Guillemot and an Eider. The nearby harbour entrance held a Slavonian Grebe. Four Velvet Scoters were off Hill Head yet again. Interesting news comes from West Sussex, when I read on the Birds of the Selsey Peninsula website that the RSPB are now going to charge a parking fee for the use of Church Norton Car Park and the Centre Car Park. Though the fee isn't too bad, the money gained from this is to help towards the upkeep of the reserve.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...