Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Spiders and Hoverflies.

Wednesday 19th November 2021.


A beautiful late Autumn's day over The Oaks Crematorium today.

Finally, I have time to update my blog for a midweek update. We are currently experiencing a very mild period of weather on the south coast with hardly any wind and pretty much, dry and sunny. However, I still have to work and so I shall update my observations I have had this week so far on my travels. I have foregone the moth box so far this week due to the very cold temperatures overnight, though I just might give it a try tonight. I would like to start by mentioning one of the most important events in our lifetime. Please remember, I am not all that interested in politicians, but sadly, they run our world and are currently making a damn crap job of it for sure; hence my rant.


The male Noble False Widow spider at The Oaks Crematorium yesterday.


Sorry, not the best photo, but this Garden Spider took us by surprise at the Chichester Crematorium yesterday.

I did listen to Chris Packham's account of the COP26 World Summit about the Climate Change and he was not impressed. I have to say, he simply echoed what I have been saying all along. We are in serious danger of destroying ourselves and our planet due to the ongoing use of fossil fuels and though SOME of the ‘super powers’ agreed to decrease the use of them, Chris and along with myself, feel it is too little too late. Sorry to be pessimistic, but I think the damage is done. Mankind is simply too greedy and probably two-thirds of the population live in this world of want, want, want and not put anything back. When the earth gets too hot to live in, I shall most likely be long gone, but it's our children and grandchildren who will suffer. I will fight, kill or destroy anything that harms my grandchild, but I cannot defeat these greedy bastards on this planet who just want to live for today!

One of several Drone Flies enjoying the warm sunshine, nectaring on the ornamental plants at The Oaks Crematorium.

Even locally, Southern Water is pumping tons of raw sewage into Langstone Harbour and probably most of our rivers and a lot of it has gone unnoticed until now. Even our local disgusting politicians are also turning a blind eye, so thank God it has been brought to the people’s attention by huge campaigns from the likes of Facebook etc., and hopefully, this dreadful Government, which is run by a complete moron, is facing up to the fact that we are in trouble! What the hell is going on???


Up to FIVE Short-eared Owls are currently hunting over the west side of Thorney Island. Photo by Richard Tucker.

A lovely portrait of one of the Snow Buntings on Hayling Island yesterday. Photo by Richard Tucker.

On a much lighter note, I have been keeping an eye out for anything interesting where on Monday, there was the usual Common Buzzard perched on the lamp post beside the M275 and while driving down the A259 Bognor Road, I saw a Stonechat climb the sky, chasing an insect from a hedgerow by the side of the road. A female Peregrine was also seen shortly afterwards, soaring low over a field near Chalcraft Lane as we made our way to Rose Green in West Sussex. On Tuesday, it was very quiet with the only birds of note being 3 Jays flying over The Oaks Crematorium while I was working there. A couple of rather large spiders were noted with a male Noble False Widow at The Oaks Crematorium and while working over Chichester Crematorium in the afternoon, a rather large Garden Spider was seen dangling from its silk from a roof until it glided down to the ground, much to the disgust of one of my work colleagues. I was well impressed with the red abdomen which I was told by an expert on spiders that the spider had recently laid eggs and therefore they go red in colour and look deflated. See, you learn something every time! 

Sanderling flocking up on Hayling Beach. Photo by Richard Curtis. 

Today, it was a bit busier at The Oaks Crematorium. A new roof is being laid on the Crematorium itself and with scaffolding decorating the perimeter of the building, it certainly did not look glamorous at all. However, this did not distract the local Wagtails with both Pied and Grey Wagtails searching for food on the roof. Jays were seen often flying over the open space between the woodland and overhead, a couple of Meadow Pipits and a pair of Mistle Thrushes were noted. In the woodland, I heard calling Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers as well as a Nuthatch. A pair of Long-tailed Tits were seen to fly by over on the east side of the Crematorium while both Great and Blue tits showed well throughout the day. Not just birds were seen, but I kept an eye out for the insects too which made the most of the warm sunshine. Twelve degrees centigrade for mid-November only goes to prove my point regarding global warming! Some of the flowering plants within the ornamental hedgerows were attracting Drone Flies and Buff-tailed Bumblebees still and even a Common Darter dragonfly landed close to my vehicle as well! Finally today, while driving out of the village of Hambledon, a Red Kite was seen soaring over the countryside close to the road.


Christine Whiffen got this superb photo of the Jack Snipe from the Spurgin Hide, Titchfield Haven, recently. Notice the well barred dark flanks and also the much shorter bill; very much unlike my bird I mistook one for.

I would like to thank both Christine Whiffen and Richard Tucker for the use of their superb photos today, especially for the Short-eared Owl photo where, including today, five birds have been quartering the fields over on the west side of the island, just south of the Little Deeps. The weather looks good for Saturday and therefore, there is a very good chance that we shall be making a trip down there to view the birds. The Great Grey Shrike is yet again still present at Backley Common in the New Forest, but there was no report at all on the Snow Buntings on Hayling today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...