Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Yellow-lined Quaker at Portchester Crem.

Tuesday 2nd November 2021.


This Yellow-lined Quaker was found near the exit of the South Chapel of Portchester Crematorium.

Though a very cold start to the day, it was sunny and bright plus it was fairly warm in the sunshine. There was hardly a breath of wind today, a good day to go birding, but I was at work and therefore, kept an eye out for anything interesting. My first port of call today was Portchester Crematorium where another check for moths revealed a smart looking Yellow-lined Quaker and at least 8 Beautiful Plume and 2 Common Plume moths.

As I was driving out of Portsmouth on the M275, I noticed it was high tide within Portsmouth Harbour and looking west, a flock of around 50+ Brent Geese were bobbing on the water. I couldn't spot anything of note on the small pool beside the motorway, but a Grey Heron was perched on a post within the harbour close to the bridge. I was driving along Southampton Road heading towards Portchester, a female or juvenile Sparrowhawk (my theory was that it was a juvenile) chased a small bird over the road, but the hawk gave up the chase and flew off back north. 


Above photo, Brent Geese in Chichester Harbour and photo below, the Snow Bunting at East Head today. My thanks for both photos taken by Sarah Russell.

After my work at Portchester Crematorium, I was driving along the top of Portsdown Hill again, but the only birds of note was a small flock of Meadow Pipits in a roadside field. I later found out that a female type, Ring Ouzel, was seen again down nearby Pigeon House Lane. In the afternoon, I was working again over The Oaks Crematorium and in warm sunny weather, I took a stroll around the premises. Again, no moths were seen around the Book of Remembrance building, but there were a few birds of note. 

A Grey Wagtail was on top of the main building of which I only caught a glimpse and a small flock of 3 Mistle Thrushes flew over the car park, heading west towards the woodland. The Marsh Tit was heard calling within the woodland as was the Long-tailed, Great, Blue and Coal Tit and even a Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard to call, though I have not seen one here for a while.


Probable Sulphur Tuft toadstools at The Oaks Crematorium this afternoon.

In Hampshire today, both the Snow Bunting at Warsash and the Great Grey Shrike at Backley Bottom were still present. In Chichester Harbour, a pair of female Velvet Scoters were seen along with a Red-throated Diver, a Common Scoter and a Razorbill. Nice one Andy J. Nearby East Head hosts a Snow Bunting, an annual place for this species, at this site.       


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...