Thursday, November 4, 2021

Snow Bunting on East Head.

Thursday 4th November 2021.


The Snow Bunting at the northern end of East Head this morning.

The first day of my mini holiday started with success. I took the long drive to East Head this morning and eventually managed to locate the female- type Snow Bunting after a very long walk to the site. I had parked by the St Peter & St Paul’s Parish Church, but instead of taking the footpath leading to Snowhill Marsh, I stupidly gave myself a very long walk along the beach road and then onto East Head through the car park! Never mind, the exercise will do me good.


The long walk north at East Head. Yes, it was cold, but just about bearable in my fleece! 


This Angle Shades moth was a bonus this morning. I am not sure if I have ever seen one in November.

I had my moth box on overnight and I was pleasantly surprised with a few moths in and around the moth box. An Angle Shades was without doubt the pick of the moths and it was joined by singles of Double-striped Pug, Light Brown Apple Moth and Common Plume. It was very cold overnight so I didn't really expect anything more than that. While checking the box, both a Pied and Grey Wagtail flew over the garden as did a few Goldfinches and a Chaffinch. 


Sanderling scurrying along the beach at East Head this morning.


The Sanderling were also joined by the Dunlin on the rising tide.

I took a gamble in just wearing my fleece instead of a coat this morning, though I did take my hat & gloves should it get too cold. The car temperature said only 8 degrees outside when I arrived, but that cold north-westerly blowing over a high tide within Chichester Harbour could have easily been quite a few degrees colder. On reaching East Head by foot, I made my way north along the water's edge, knowing full well that I would have to hurry my pace as the tide was still on the rise. Flocks of Brent Geese were passing by overhead, which kept me entertained as I walked along the sandy beach, keeping a sharp eye out for any passerine movement ahead of me, for the Bunting could easily be anywhere on this small island, though it was favouring the north end as of yesterday.


Sanderling and Dunlin arriving on the shoreline.


Grey Plover, Dunlin and a Lapwing on Snowhill Marsh.

There were a lot of dog-walkers around and plenty of dogs off their leads too, so the Bunting could be easily spooked and disappear for a while. As I neared the northern end of the island, I could see good numbers of both Sanderling and Dunlin on the shoreline. Always entertaining, I grabbed a few photos of these delightful waders and there were quite a few more when I reached the most northern part of the island. From here, I had a frantic search for the Bunting, but for the next ten minutes or so, all I could find was a small mixed flock of Greenfinch and Linnet feeding on the grass litter on the beach. A few Skylarks were around and a quick scan over a choppy harbour produced no sightings of yesterday's Velvet Scoters in the harbour.


The Snow Bunting eventually gave itself up as I spotted it flying over the harbour and then settled right in front of me. 

After several fruitless searches for the Bunting, I decided to walk back around the other side of the island and try my luck there. I was just starting to walk south and taking a few more photos of the Sanderling, a bright coloured passerine caught my eye as it flew low over the waves and sure enough, it was the Snow Bunting and thankfully and very lucky for me, it popped down on the beach some 20 feet away from me. Phew! The bird sat there for a few seconds, long enough for a few photos, then scurried along the sand and pebbles away from me. Obviously, the bird was skittish and was probably harassed due to the dog walkers. The bird did not linger long and flew off with a flock of Sanderling (!), which was an unusual sight and I followed the bird through my binoculars until I saw it land distantly on the shoreline to the east.



Redshank, Dunlin and Lapwing on Snowhill Marsh.  



This Golden Plover (left) was resting with a Black-tailed Godwit & Curlew on Snowhill Marsh.

More than happy with my sighting (my 197th species for the year), I decided to walk through the sand dunes, back to the car park as the main footpath around the edge of the island was now submerged under the incoming tide. On the way back, I saw at least three Stonechats in the small bushes, including at least one male bird and also a female Reed Bunting in one of the small trees. Walking along the footpath past Snowhill Marsh, there was a good gathering of waders on the pools, which included a flock of around 40+ Golden Plover and among these, Curlew, Dunlin, Lapwing, Grey Plover and a few Black-tailed Godwit were present. There was a good gathering of Brent Geese in the harbour opposite Snowhill Marsh with at least 500+ birds present and among these, a lone Great Crested Grebe was fishing. It has been quite a few years since I have been to this location and now I have found a place to park the car without being stung by West Sussex County Council and their extravagant parking fees. I might come down here more often. I think the last time I was here was when a Red-breasted Goose was among the Brent Geese. 



This female Reed Bunting was calling on East Head.


Up to three Stonechats were seen including this male bird on the island.


The sand dunes within the island were negotiable. 

The only raptors seen today were a Kestrel and several Common Buzzards over the A27 and on the way out of Portsmouth, at the end of Velder Avenue, a female Sparrowhawk flapped high over the crossroads, probably having been hunting over Milton Cemetery. When I got home, I topped up the bird feeder with sunflower hearts and while doing so, a Grey Wagtail flew over. Happy days.  



East Head looking north into Chichester Harbour.


I gave directions for the Snow Bunting that a passing birder wanted and he snapped this superb Red-throated Diver passing by over the harbour. Photo by Steve Simnett. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...