Thursday, October 21, 2021

Red-green Carpet moth new for the year & Highland Road Cemetery.

Thursday 21st October 2021.


My first Red-green Carpet of the year.

After last nights somewhat inclement weather, heavy rain showers throughout the night and strong blustery winds, I wasn't all that surprised to see that moth numbers were well down, but I was in for a surprise when i found my first Red-green Carpet of the year perched nicely near the moth box on the fence. I quickly grabbed a few photos and then potted it for a better photo in my kitchen. 


Another view of the Red-green Carpet on the fence where I found it.

I rarely get this species in my garden and after noticing a few other people getting them in their moth boxes, I was hoping that one just might turn up in mine. So, despite the poor weather overnight, it was worth putting the moth box on even though a lot of the egg trays inside were soggy. Today is supposed to be dry but cold and so will help to dry out the egg trays. The only birds over the garden this morning were two Pied Wagtails during the time I was checking the moths.

The moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Red-green Carpet
  • 3 Box Tree Moth 
  • 12 Common Plume
  • 2 Beautiful Plume
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth


This photo was taken 12 years to the day of the adult Ring-billed Gull that used to reside by Walpole Lake, Gosport. It would return year after year here and spend the winter at this site making it a good reliable addition to our year lists. The last RB Gull seen by me was several years ago on Blashford Lakes

Thankfully, I am going back to work tomorrow and so I took the opportunity of taking a nice Autumn stroll around Highland Road Cemetery with Scruff in the bright sunshine. After last night's deluge of rain, it was nice to see a clear blue cloudless sky, though there was a sting in the tail with temperatures probably no more than around 10 degrees in the blustery wind. Pleased with the moths this morning, a nice walk around the Cemy would do me the world of good.


I was photographing the Hoverflies that were enjoying this flowering Ivy bush in the Cemy.


Left: Common Drone Fly and right: Tapered Drone Fly.

In total, I saw or heard 16 species of birds early afternoon here, but there was a good display of insects enjoying the flowering Ivy again. Of the bird life, there were at least two Chiffchaff seen near the Holm Oak clump, while a couple of Jays and a pair of Chaffinches were probably the highlights along with an unseen Meadow Pipit flying over. As long as I see over 13 species (I am not really superstitious) during my walk, I am happy and normally, it is always the case. Just a thought, will that number of species be seen in 20 years time here? We shall see.


On the left, a Common Wasp alongside an Ivy Bee.  


Myathropa florea.

As mentioned, insects were abundant today and THREE species of butterfly were noted: numerous Red Admiral’s, a single Small White and a very late Holly Blue, which took me by surprise. Bees and Hoverflies also enjoyed the Ivy, including the large Hornet-mimic Hoverfly Volucella zonaria, which is always a joy to see. A real monster of a Hoverfly. Other Hoveflies present on the Ivy include the Tapered Drone Fly Eristalis pertinax, Common Drone Fly Eristalis tenax, Myathropa florea, Syrphus ribesii and the tiny Syritta pipiens. A Buff-tailed Bumblebee was also noted as were good numbers of Common Wasps. Nearly all sun exposed Ivy Plants had good numbers of Hoverflies on them and were always worth a check.


The Hornet-mimic Hoverfly.   


The late Holly Blue butterfly in the Cemy.

Other insects that seemed to be abundant were the Harlequin Ladybirds, where there were several forms of them on the leaves of trees along the footpath. There were not too many plants flowering, but what I did notice were Smooth Sow-thistle, a single Ox-eye Daisy and plenty of Dandelions still on show in the long grass. I did meet another couple of ‘birders’ walking around the Cemy and so stopped for a quick chat. I think they were in search of Goldcrests, but none were heard or seen today.


There wasn't many birds to photograph today and so this Great Tit probably posed the best.


Harlequin Ladybirds enjoying the sunshine.



One of the ‘Lazee Birders’ currently has a female type Black Redstart near his house in Romsey, while another reported a Short-eared Owl over the North Binness Islands in Langstone Harbour this morning. Up to three Ring Ouzels are at Leaden Hall in the New Forest this morning along with a fly-by Hen-harrier. It could be my destination this Saturday.    


Buff-tailed Bumblebee. 


There were a few Toadstools growing around the graves in the centre of the Cemetery.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...