Friday, October 22, 2021

Three raptor species seen on my travels today.

Friday 22nd October 2021.


An Osprey flying over the River Hamble yesterday. Photo by Christine Whiffen. 

I was back to work today and fortunately, I was on light duties, of which i would like to thank my Manager for. Though getting in and out of a car with a dodgy back was not easy, it was better than what I normally do. During my day, I did get to see a few notable birds while driving around between branches, including a trip to both The Oaks and Portchester Crematorium. It was a dry day again, but noticeably a lot cooler with a light north-easterly blowing. 


A Marsh Harrier flying over Titchfield Haven today. Photo by Christine Whiffen.

Three of our most common raptors were seen today, including a pair of Common Buzzards soaring over the Forty Acres site in the afternoon and a male Kestrel flying over the M27. A male Sparrowhawk, with prey in its talons, flew low over a road in Purbrook, carefully manoeuvring through the gardens; seen very well as it flew right in front of me while I was in the car. As expected, good numbers of Jays were seen flying over various roads on my travels, an all too common sight at this time of year.


The Pectoral Sandpiper at Oxey Marshes, Lymington earlier this week. Photo by Rob Porter. 

I have just read a report on Facebook (I do hope it's not true!) that more sewage has been pumped into Langstone Harbour from Budds Farm Sewage Works, with a photo for proof. I am absolutely disgusted with this and though it is very doubtful, I do hope the perpetrators of this obscene act of disregard are brought to book. Unforgivable. On a positive note, I would like to thank both Christine Whiffen and Rob Porter for the use of their superb photos for this entry on my blog. There was a Short-eared Owl sighting on both Farlington Marshes and Pagham Harbour today and hopefully, one just might be found in the New Forest tomorrow where I hope to be going tomorrow morning.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...