Friday, October 1, 2021

Back at East Prawle for a week.

Friday 1st October 2021.


The amazing view from the bottom of our road. I hope to spend many more superb moments at this fabulous place, enjoying the many migrants and wildlife that is so abundant here.

At last, Becky and I are spending a week at East Prawle; the gorgeous quaint little village on a Devon headland jutting out into the English Channel and just screaming out for a rare bird to be discovered as many have in the past. Maybe it's my time for something very rare to grace my presence here, although I will happily enjoy a juicy Cirl Bunting or two. Not only the birdlife I am looking forward to, but also the moths for I have brought my moth box along for the ride too and as I write this, it is up and running already!



Photos from top to bottom: the cottages overlooking the English  Channel at the bottom of the road; Herring Gulls checking out the fields close to the cliffs and a very distant female Cirl Bunting in the late sunshine.

I have already taken a walk down the lane to view from one of the best viewpoints in the area and visible migration was most evident. Meadow Pipits, ‘alba’ Wagtails, Linnets and good numbers of both House and Sand Martins were all around, while flitting around the roadside bushes were several Chiffchaffs that occasionally showed. I stood with Scruff overlooking the superb viewpoint from the end of the Cottage where I had a conversation with a family member staying there. A large number of Gulls, mostly Herring Gulls, were feeding in a field by the cliffs along with good numbers of Carrion Crows, while more passerines were passing through in good numbers, notably Linnets, Meadow Pipits and more House Martins.



The above photos: A few Chiffchaffs were seen along the road leading to the viewpoint; Verbena plants were still flowering and House Martins were abundant around the cliffs and Cottages.

I checked the sea for anything of note, but it was mostly distant Gannets I could clearly see flying low over the calm sea, while closer to the shoreline, several Oystercatchers were flying over the rock pools. Earlier, I noticed a large moth by the front entrance of the Cottage I was watching from and on closer inspection, it was a Dark Sword-grass; my second of the year. With my moth box on, it will be interesting to see how many I shall get here this time around. Of course, I always check what is along the roadside as there are plenty of plants and insects on show. Verbena plants was still in flower as were a few sprigs of Dark Mullein, while Dark Bush Crickets were calling everywhere along the thick vegetation. It is only Friday and hopefully, more interesting sightings have yet to come. 




Photos above: The Dark Sword-grass moth I found at the Cottage at the bottom of the road from our Cottage. The front and rear view of our Cottage, The Shippen, with Scruff having a good old sniff round! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...