Sunday, October 4, 2026

An Autumn walk around the Cemy.

Sunday 4th October 2026.

The dogs got their walk this morning over Highland Road Cemetery after I had my breakfast and checked the Moth Box. My blocked nose got the better of me and so I was up at 4.30am AGAIN and managed to get some kip downstairs before checking the Moth Box around 7am. Heavy fog enveloped Southsea early this morning as I could hear the ships fog horns going off in the Solent. The fog had lifted by the time I got over to the Cemetery where I noticed a good movement of passerines overhead.

 

My Moth Box:



One of two Plumed Fan-foot moths this morning.

I was checking my Moths in my Dressing Gown this morning (very sad!) and was pleased to find only my second Common Marbled Carpet of the year, perched on the fence panel behind the Moth Box. However, the Moth was too quick for me as when I went to take a photo of it, the Moth flew off!



One of two Feathered Ranunculus moths.

A total of 32 moths of 15 species was recorded this morning and although there were no new Moths for the year, 2 Plumed Fan-foots, 2 Feathered Ranunculus and a Golden Twin-spot was nothing to moan about.



Angle Shades.

The micro moth Rosy Tabby (Endotricha flammealis) was in my Moth Box (that’s 2 in 2 days!) along with a Narrow-winged Grey (Eudonia angustia). The following Moths were recorded this morning:

 

MACRO MOTHS

MICRO MOTHS

 

 

Common Marbled Carpet x1

Common Plume x1

Golden Twin-spot x1

Light Brown Apple Moth x12

Double-striped Pug x2

Rusty-dot Pearl x3

Lesser Yellow Underwing x1

Tree-mallow Tortrix x1

Lunar Underwing x2

Narrow-winged Grey x1

Clancy’s Rustic x1

Rosy Tabby x1

Angle Shades x1

 

Plumed Fan-foot x2

 

Feathered Ranunculus x2

 

 

As I was checking the Moth Box, I noticed on how foggy it was still was in the area and then a familiar call was heard above me. I knew straight away that it was a wader, but which one? Eventually, I caught sight of the bird and can confirm it was my first ‘garden tick’ of a Golden Plover which circled high over the house and then flew off north; probably disorientated by the fog. Short-eared Owl last month, Golden Plover this month! Whatever next over my garden?

There was also a steady stream of Meadow Pipits going over too and remained that way throughout the morning.

 

Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:


One of two Jays in the Cemy. I watched both Jays burying their acorns near the Mausoleum. A typical sight in Autumn.

I was hoping this morning’s fog might have dropped in a migrant or two and I was rewarded with at least 4 Chiffchaffs seen or heard within the Cemetery. Overhead, once again there was a steady stream of Meadow Pipits flying over as was the Skylarks. The sky was vivid blue overhead and seeing the birds was proving difficult, but plenty were going over.



Above, this singing Robin was by the main footpath and below, the Jays were busy burying acorns.



Above, two of the four Chiffchaffs noted in the Cemy.



A total of 14 species were recorded during my walk round and that included a Grey Wagtail flying over and the Green Woodpecker was heard calling again; but this time, there were no sightings. A pair of Jays put on a good show in front of me as they were burying acorns around the gravestones near the Mausoleum.



Above, one of several Red Admiral butterflies on the Holly Bushes and below, I found this small clump of Common Knapweed growing near the main footpath.



This Jay was disgorging its acorn ready for burial.

The Ivy Bushes were all in flower and that in turn attracted many Ivy Bees, Drone Flies and Common Wasps along with a several Red Admiral butterflies. I could have spent a lot longer here, but my wife had made other arrangements and so the dogs and I made our way back to the house. It was getting quite warm here in Southsea as I took off my fleece I was wearing before I melted! A balmy 21 degrees was recorded here in Southsea today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Autumn walk around the Cemy.

Sunday 4 th October 2026. The dogs got their walk this morning over Highland Road Cemetery after I had my breakfast and checked the Moth ...