Thursday 8th October 2026.
A very cold and clear start to the day here in Southsea with
temperatures only in low single figures. This reflected in the Moth numbers too
with the lowest number this month. Pembroke Road, in Old Portsmouth, wasn’t
much warmer either and I had to wear my damp gloves (due to yesterdays morning
rain) throughout my first shift.
It is still dark when I take the dogs for their walk early
in the morning and as I pass Highland Road Cemetery, I could just see dawn
breaking in the east. 'Robins' were ticking and a few 'Herring Gulls' flew over,
but the Feathered Ranunculus moth that was perched by the entrance of St.
Margarets Church must have left overnight.
My Moth Box:
Just a lowly 7 moths of 5 species this morning, all familiar
Autumn moths including up to 3 Lunar Underwings. I read on the Hants Moths
Facebook Page that a chap who ‘traps’ in Portchester had a Chevron Snout to his
Box. I had never heard of this species until now and reading up on it, it is a
very scarce immigrant moth from the Mediterranean area.
|
MACRO MOTHS |
MICRO MOTHS |
|
|
|
|
Lunar
Underwing x3 |
Light Brown
Apple Moth x1 |
|
Turnip Moth
x1 |
|
|
Lesser Yellow
Underwing x1 |
|
|
Feathered
Ranunculus x1 |
|
While checking the Moth Box, at least two Chiffchaffs were
heard and one seen in the trees by my garden and a lone calling Greenfinch
passed overhead unseen.
Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:
Though bright and sunny, it was damn cold on my first shift
this morning and having this heavy cold does not help either. I’m back on
antibiotics and so hopefully, could be gone within the next few days. A chilly
north-westerly was blowing down Pembroke Road, but a total of 16 species
recorded this morning wasn’t too bad.
Among the more familiar birds, a Jay was seen flitting about
some of the trees opposite and a Song Thrush, first heard doing its familiar
‘sipp’ call somewhere in the tree canopy, then flew out and headed off west
over Governor’s Green. A now familiar sight of Autumn migration with the
thrushes and it shouldn’t be too long for my first Redwing of the year.
A Chiffchaff was heard a couple of times calling in the footpath adjacent to the Bowling Green, but no sightings today. A group of 6 Magpies flew out of the Holm Oaks, but the Carrion Crows didn’t take too kindly to them. Just the one Blackbird seen this morning and that looked like a juvenile bird sporting a dark bill. No Pied Wagtails on the Bowling Green this morning, though I did hear one flying over as did a Meadow Pipit.
The birds recorded this morning included the following:
- Herring Gull
- Great Black-backed Gull
- Wood Pigeon
- Feral Pigeon
- Carrion Crow
- Magpie
- Jay
- Blue Tit
- Great Tit
- Pied Wagtail
- Meadow Pipit
- Blackbird
- Wren
- Robin
- Chiffchaff
- Blackbird
- Song Thrush





No comments:
Post a Comment