Monday, September 14, 2026

Several bird migrants at Pembroke Road today.

Monday 14th September 2026.


While walking the dogs early this morning, walking past Highland Road Cemetery, I heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker calling from the trees there.


Where did the weekend go? It was back to work this morning, kicking off the day at Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth. It was overcast throughout the day and though it looked a bit grim with the threat of an odd shower around, it was very mild with temperatures around 21 degrees. A very light south-westerly wind was coming in off the Solent and got a bit fresher as the day wore on.

I gave the Moth Box a miss last night to hope that all the Moths from Sunday morning had dispersed, but it will be back on tonight and hopefully, no Fox to hassle my Moths!

 

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


Looking south over to the Bowling Green. A Chiffchaff was seen and heard in the trees there.

There was a good total of bird species recorded here from both shifts this morning with a final total of 14 species. It was good to see some migrants coming through with a small flock of 3 Swallows heading south-west and two individual Chiffchaffs seen and heard. The one seen in the afternoon had a slightly different call and I can only assume it was a juvenile bird. A Yellow Wagtail flew high over and for once, I actually saw the bird!

A Jay showed briefly flying into the nearby Sycamore trees and a large flock of Carrion Crows were seen flying low west over the road, with a count of at least 13 birds recorded. Governor’s Green held a Pied Wagtail that was searching the grass for any insects; a species I have not seen here this month. I believe that Visible Migration here really takes hold next month which I will be looking forward to, but for now, a trickle of migrants to break up the norm is certainly most welcome.

 

In Hampshire today:

Though there was no sign of the Grey Phalarope on Pennington Marshes today, the Pectoral Sandpiper was still present on Butts Lagoon along with a Little Stint, Curlew Sandpiper and a Bar-tailed Godwit. A Hobby was seen hawking overhead.



Congratulations to birding pal Emma Parkes for having this photo of two fighting Red-legged Partridges on Portsdown Hill being put on the Birdguides photos.

Birding pal Geoff Farwell was back down Farlington Marshes yesterday and judging by his sightings, he had a really good day on this superb reserve. His sightings included 2 Ospreys, Marsh Harrier, Sparrowhawk, 2 Cattle Egret, 4 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Avocet, Green Sandpiper, 15 Greenshank, 135+ Sandwich Tern, 50 Great Crested Grebe, Water Rail, 16 Sand Martin, 2 Wheatear, Whinchat, Kingfisher, White Wagtail, 8 Yellow Wagtails, 8 Cetti’s Warbler, 3 Common Whitethroat, 9 Blackcaps and 2 Chiffchaffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Several bird migrants at Pembroke Road today.

Monday 14 th September 2026. While walking the dogs early this morning, walking past Highland Road Cemetery, I heard a Great Spotted Woodpe...