Monday, August 3, 2026

SULPHUR PEARL moth added to my Moth Life List.

 Monday 3rd August 2026.


This SULPHUR PEARL moth was a 'lifer' for me, which was found on the Church window of St. Margaret's nearby.

It is a bit like Ground-hog Day here in Southsea with continuous very warm weather, though there was a bit of cloud cover. It was overcast when I put the Moth Box on overnight, though it was clear as a bell first thing this morning at 5.45am. A very light south-easterly was blowing this morning that produced a good variety of Moths again and I was going to be in for a big surprise when I took the dogs for their early morning walk. Read on.

 

My Moth Box:



A Canary-shouldered Thorn was sat on the side of the Moth Box.

Over 130 moths, representing 29 species, were recorded this morning. Apple Leaf Miners dominated the catch once again, with at least 72 counted. When I checked the moth box first thing, dozens more could be seen flying over the garden plants.



Above, my first Chevron Grass-moth this year and below, one of two Turnip Moths.



Above, the migrants keep coming in with two more Rusty Acorn Piercer's present and below, I rescued this Golden Twin-spot from certain death!



The only new species for the year in my garden was the micro moth Chevron Grass-moth (Agriphila geniculea), an annual visitor here around this time. I also managed to rescue a Golden Twin-spot from a spider’s web, carefully removing the strands before releasing it safely; it soon flew off towards the back of the garden.



Setaceous Hebrew Character's have been scarce this year and so this one was very welcome.

The migrant moths continued to provide interest, with two Small Mottled Willows and two Turnip Moths recorded.



Above, a Shuttle-shaped Dart (left) and a Small Mottled Willow. Below, one of two Marbled Beauties.



Among the micro moths, there were three Rusty Acorn Piercers (Cydia amplana) and six Rusty-dot Pearls. An Olive-tree Pearl (Palpita vitrealis) also flew out while I was removing one of the trays for closer inspection; unfortunately, it disappeared before I could see it again.

 

MACRO MOTHS

MICRO MOTHS

 

 

Golden Twin-spot x1

Box Tree Moth x3

Small Dusty Wave x3

Apple Leaf Miner x72+

Common Rustic x1

Olive-tree Pearl x1

Lime-speck Pug x2

Light Brown Apple Moth x9

Small Mottled Willow x2

Rusty Acorn Piercer x3

Shuttle-shaped Dart x2

Hampshire Dowd x3

Canary-shouldered Thorn x1

Rusty-dot Pearl x6

Double-striped Pug x3

Chevron Grass-moth * x1

Heart & Dart x1

Ruddy Streak x1

Silver Y x1

Dark Moss-moth x1

Marbled Beauty x2

Bird-cherry Ermine x1

Setaceous Hebrew Character x1

Meal Moth x2

Pale Mottled Willow x1

Blushed Knot-horn x1

Turnip Moth x2

Common Plume x1

 

Hawthorn Moth x1

 

While walking the dogs early this morning, I followed the path behind St. Margaret’s Church on Highland Terrace and spotted a Hummingbird Hawk-moth high on the church wall. I managed to take a few photos with my mobile phone, although they were unfortunately rather poor.

The morning became even more memorable when I found my first ever SULPHUR PEARL (Sitochroa palealis) resting on one of the church windows. This time, the mobile phone photos came out much better. From what I understand, SULPHUR PEARL is a moth more often associated with downland and coastal locations, so this individual may have drifted a little inland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SULPHUR PEARL moth added to my Moth Life List.

 Monday 3 rd August 2026. This SULPHUR PEARL   moth was a 'lifer' for me, which was found on the Church window of St. Margaret'...