Wednesday 5th August 2026.
This Red Admiral was very confiding in my garden late this afternoon. Another one flew in and it got up and chased it breifly and then settled again close to where I sat.
I left the moth box off overnight, as I needed a break from
recording the same species repeatedly. Today
was much cooler, with a blustery south-westerly wind throughout the day and no
rain forecast. Most of the rainfall, including some heavy thunderstorms,
appears to be north of the border. We
could really do with some of that weather down here soon.
Little was added to the Hants Birding website today, but
over at Woolmer Pond, a Peregrine was seen along with a Hobby by a regular to
the site and he also found a male Red-veined Darter by the Pond; a species I
have yet to catch up with: though this species is getting more common as the
years go on.
Over at Titchfield Haven, up to four Spoonbills were present
again on the South Scrape and a few waders too that included five Common
Sandpipers and a Knot. Closer to home, I didn’t see one Swift today around my
house and though I will expect to see some over the coming weeks, the vast majority
are now on their way back to Africa.
My garden held a couple of Red Admiral butterflies this
afternoon and during the day, both Holly Blue and Small White were seen. A
smart Comma was present yesterday, but too quick for me to grab a photo. A
Vapourer Moth was fluttering about at the back of the garden but would not
settle.
It does make a refreshing change where the temperatures have
returned to normal here in the south of England; though there is talk of yet
another heatwave on the way. Grumble!

No comments:
Post a Comment