Thursday, August 27, 2026

Another good Moth total in humid conditions.

Wednesday 27th August 2026.


It wasn't really light this morning till around 6.45am with very heavy cloud overhead that brought in some heavy rain showers.


The rain finally arrived overnight with a brief shower (the only one I heard), but a few heavy showers after I had checked the Moth Box could be a prelude of things to come today. As well as the showers, it is very humid with temperatures around 19 degrees and I was soaked with sweat after walking the dogs!

A reasonable number of Moths were present this morning with a variety of Moths again including a several species of migrants.

 

My Moth Box:


A rather late Riband Wave was in the garden this morning.


A total of at least 88 moths of 24 species were recorded this morning, but it was starting to rain and so I had to hurry in checking both the Moth Box and the surrounding area before the first downpour. The most numerous Moth species was the Pale Mottled Willows with up to 22 recorded. SEVEN Golden Twin-spots was notable, and a Clancy’s Rustic was a good find too. A very late Riband Wave was perched on the Box and I quickly potted it to double-check it wasn’t something a little rarer.



Above, a Clancy's Rustic was most welcome and below, my first Pale-backed Detritus Moth of the month was in one of the egg trays within the Box.



Up to seven Golden Twin-spots were recorded this morning.


The Pale-backed Detritus Moth was new for the month. Micro moth numbers were also notable, with 8 Box Tree Moths and 9 Rusty-dot Pearls recorded. I also checked the area around the Moth Box, as moths often settle away from the box itself and can perch almost anywhere. The rain is likely to disperse many of them, so I may well find a few more later today. The moths recorded this morning included the following:

 

MACRO MOTHS

MICRO MOTHS

 

 

Golden Twin-spot x7

Box Tree Moth x8

Riband Wave x1

Common Plume x2

Pale Mottled Willow x22

Light Brown Apple Moth x4

Setaceous Hebrew Character x1

Rusty-dot Pearl x9

Lime-speck Pug x1

Mint Moth x1

Double-striped Pug x3

Apple Leaf Miner x3

Bright-line Brown-eye x1

Chevron Grass-moth x3

Small Dusty Wave x5

Common Grass-moth x1

Angle Shades x1

Pale-backed Detritus Moth x1

Willow Beauty x2

 

Shuttle-shaped Dart x1

 

Clancy’s Rustic x1

 

Langmaid’s Yellow Underwing x2

 

L-album Wainscot x7

 

Vine’s Rustic x1

 

 



This big Buff-tailed Bumblebee took refuge in my Moth Box overnight.

Also present in and around the Moth Box were several Lacewing, a Harlequin Ladybird and a big Buff-tailed Bumblebee that was sitting on one of the egg trays within the Box. Sadly, no migrant birds were heard flying overhead this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An afternoon walk over the Cemy.

Thursday 27th August 2026. Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea: The Jays put in a strong appearance today. I really fancied taking the dogs ...