Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Another excellent haul of Moths this morning.

 Tuesday 26th August 2026



A close up of a Copper Underwing in my garden this morning. Notice the pale 'palps' on this individual.


The thunderstorms predicted for last night never materialised (surprise, surprise!) and so I must do a lot of watering today, but despite the lack of rain, last nights humid conditions certainly brought in the Moths. The temperature was mild again this morning with next to very little wind and apart from a few small clouds overhead, it was bright.

Yesterday late afternoon, I had a new mammal ‘tick’ for the garden: a Grey Squirrel that first climbed up our washing line, then raced to the back of the garden and leapt into our neighbour’s Holly tree. My dogs rushed out to see what the commotion was about, but the squirrel had already gone. I also found the first Giant House Spider of the season in the house. Rather than putting it outside, I let it disappear somewhere indoors. I wish people were kinder to them, as they feed on many unwanted insect pests.


My Moth Box:



My first Wax Moth of the year.

This morning I recorded an excellent total of 98 moths from 37 species, far more than expected. Among them was my first Wax Moth of the year. Although not the most glamorous species, it is an interesting one: it enters beehives, where its larvae feed on the honeycomb.



Above, a slightly worn Copper Underwing and below, a European Corn-borer moth.



Two Copper Underwings was exceptional and although I got a good close up of the ‘palps’ and most certainly are pale throughout, signalling a Copper Underwing rather than the very similar Svenssons Copper Underwing, the true easier way is the underwing, but that would most likely mean euthanising the insect of which I will not do.



Above, the micro moth Cherrybark Tortrix and below, one of four Golden Twin-spots from this morning.



Migrant Moths today included 4 Golden Twin-spot, Portland Ribbon Wave, White-point, Small Mottled Willow, Rusty-dot Pearl (Udea ferrugalis), European Corn-borer (Ostrinia nubilalis) and Olive-tree Pearl (Palpita vitrealis).

 

MACRO MOTHS

MICRO MOTHS

 

 

Copper Underwing x2

Rusty-dot Pearl x8

Golden Twin-spot x4

Wax Moth * x1

Portland Ribbon Wave x1

Box Tree Moth x6

Setaceous Hebrew Character x1

Common Plume x1

Pale Mottled Willow x9

Beautiful Plume x1

White-point x1

Chevron Grass-moth x7

White Ermine x1

Common Grass-moth x2

Lime-speck Pug x2

Dark Moss-moth x4

Double-striped Pug x2

Ruddy Streak x2

Small Mottled Willow x1

Horse-chestnut Leafminer x2

Small Dusty Wave x2

Light Brown Apple Moth x1

Square-spot Rustic x2

European Corn-borer x1

Cabbage Moth x1

Apple Leaf Miner x3

Angle Shades x1

Cherrybark Tortrix x2

Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing x2

Tree-mallow Tortrix x3

L-album Wainscot x10

Blushed Knot-horn x3

Willow Beauty x1

Olive-tree Pearl x2

Bright-line Brown-eye x3

Long-horned Flat-body x1

Vine’s Rustic x1

 

 


A Lacewing inside the Moth Box.

The Moth Box also attracted at least one Lacewing and a Harlequin Ladybird. Overhead, while checking the Moth Box, at least two Yellow Wagtails flew heard. They can be a bugger to see as most fly so high.



This afternoon, I found this Southern Oak Bush-cricket by a building entrance.


Rest in Peace, Dolly x




No comments:

Post a Comment

Another good Moth total in humid conditions.

Wednesday 27 th August 2026. It wasn't really light this morning till around 6.45am with very heavy cloud overhead that brought in some...