Friday, October 4, 2024

Plenty to see at Pembroke Road.

Thursday 3rd October 2024.

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


The Jays have been showing all week in Pembroke Road. Photo by Pete Appleton.

Autumn migration is in full swing and while a lot of birders are rushing around to pick off the latest rarity, I had too much on to go chasing stuff and so enjoyed the peaceful tranquility of Pembroke Road for my first shift. I notched up an impressive 17 species of bird that included a few additions and what with the cold northerly wind bringing in the overwintering thrushes now, I kept an eye out for my first Redwing of the season. Sadly none to report (over a 100+ birds flew over Fleet Pond, in the north of the County), but I did see two individual Song Thrushes flying over and probably were migrant birds.


This Osprey was found and photographed by Andy Friend today, flying over Hayling Oysterbeds.

Both Grey and Pied Wagtail were noted this morning along with good numbers of Meadow Pipits flying over, while at least 2, possibly 3 Chiffchaffs were flitting about in the trees opposite. My first shift at Pembroke Road started off superbly with a male Peregrine flying high east and slowly making its way along. It was low enough to get a really good view in the early morning sunshine. A small family flock of 3 Mute Swans (2 adults and a juvenile) flew east and probably headed towards Canoe Lake. A pair of Jays were seen in both my first and second shift here on Pembroke Road, making use of the roadside trees. If only I had my camera to hand for they showed very well perched up in the nearby trees. Yesterday, I forgot to put on my blog that a Coal Tit was calling and then seen in the big garden of 33 Pembroke Road, which is a very good record here.


The Carnation Tortrix moth I found this morning.

Other interesting sightings included a Carnation Tortrix sitting on a leaf on the Hibiscus plant behind me; only the second sighting this year of this small micro moth. A few Harlequin Ladybirds were also on the plant as were a few rather large Garden Spiders (Araneus diadematus) which are abundant now.


I treated myself to a new pair of binoculars; the Hawke Endurance ED and I have to say, they are seriously value for money. I was well impressed with them.

Back in my garden, the flowering Ivy is giving off its heady scent and attracting many Bees, Hoverflies and Butterflies. I had a superb Comma butterfly (rare in my garden) perched on one of the Ivy flowers along with up to 4 Red Admiral butterflies.


Yellow-browed Warbler at Sandy Point. Photo by Andy Friend.

The two Yellow-browed Warblers are still present at Sandy Point today and hopefully, will linger into the weekend. A Little Stint was found among the roosting waders at nearby Black Point.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare moth in my Moth Box.

Monday 14th October 2024. Only my second ever Radford's Flame Shoulder moth. And yet another wet start to the working week with drizzly...