Friday, September 13, 2024

Another new moth for the year & migrants flying over.

Friday 13th September 2024


My first Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing of the year this morning.

Overnight, it was very cold and with a cloudless sky, it couldn't have been much above freezing here in Southsea. Nevertheless, I still put my Moth Box on overnight, hoping to trap a few migrants; though I didn't really expect many moths to be out and about. Yesterday, Emma Parkes sent me a photo of a Convolvulus Hawk-moth they found in Gosport, of which I am very jealous. I have been getting these moths annually to my garden over the past few years; so hopefully, another one this year would be nice.

 

Above and below, the Convolvulus Hawk-moth. Photos by Emma Parkes.


The Moth Box: 

Just 13 moths of 6 species were in and around my Moth Box this morning; however, there was a new moth for the year with a Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing present, though proving a little difficult to get a decent photo. This is the lowest total of moths for some time, but the recent cold weather has not helped at all, though it is supposed to be warming up again this weekend.

The following moths were recorded this morning:

  • Lesser Yellow Underwing 4
  • L-album Wainscot 2
  • Garden Carpet
  • Pale Mottled Willow 2
  • Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (New for Year)
  • Common Plume 3

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

I logged up to 15 species this morning while on my first shift and that included a pair of Jays, a calling Chiffchaff again, a male Kestrel that flew over my head and landed on the Garrison Church nearby and good numbers of Meadow Pipits going over heading westbound.

A Chiffchaff was by my garden again around midday as I had my lunch in the garden. A few Small White butterflies were in the garden and one landed nearby in the Ivy, while a Red Admiral butterfly and a Common Darter dragonfly flew over my garden heading north. 


Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillars on Catherington Downs. Film footage by Andy Friend.

My second shift was much quieter, though a lot warmer. An addition to this mornings species count included a Great Tit, making 17 species for the day. In Hampshire today, the Wryneck at Titchfield Haven put in another appearance and hopefully, will linger till tomorrow where I shall try my luck if all goes well with the guys. Fellow ‘Lazee’ Andy Friend found four Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillars on Catherington Downs today and kindly dropped me a pin where to look for them. I have never seen a Hawk-moth caterpillar in all the years I have had an interest in moths.


A montage of waders on Hayling Oysterbeds recently. Film footage by James Cutting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...