Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Another good haul of moths this morning.

Wednesday 25th September 2024.


Canary-shouldered Thorn. It has been a good year for this species in my garden.

More rain was forecast today and it certainly belted down while I was in Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth early this morning. Fortunately, it didn't last too long as I kept an eye and ear out for any passing birds where I was working this morning. I put the Moth Box on overnight for the first time this week and it paid off and though there was nothing new for the year, there was a good variety and number of moths plus it was dry too!

The Moth Box:


Above, a Clancy's Rustic and below, one of three Lunar Underwing moths.


A good total of 80 moths of 19 species recorded this morning of which an incredible 22 of these were L-album Wainscot moths. I think this is a record for my garden for I have never seen so many in all the years I have been studying moths. Notable Autumn moths included Feathered Ranunculus, Lunar Underwing, Clancy’s Rustic, Diamond-back Moth and an odd looking White-point. A Canary-shouldered Thorn added a splash of colour, perched on the wall opposite the Moth Box. 


Above, a Feathered Ranunculus and below, the odd looking White-point moth.


The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Lesser Yellow Underwing 9
  • Large Yellow Underwing 6
  • Feathered Ranunculus
  • Lunar Underwing 3
  • L-album Wainscot 22
  • Blair’s Mocha
  • Clancy’s Rustic
  • Pale Mottled Willow 6
  • Willow Beauty 8
  • Canary-shouldered Thorn
  • Garden Carpet 3
  • Double-striped Pug 7
  • White-point
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 6
  • Diamond-back Moth
  • Rusty-dot Pearl 3
  • Beautiful Plume
  • Common Plume
  • Brown House Moth


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


Governor's Green with the Royal Garrison Church in the background. You can even see the Isle of Wight Ferry passing between the Church and the houses!

Just as I arrived at Pembroke Road, the heavens opened and a deluge of rain came down for the next ten minutes! However, I quickly got into the swing of things and recorded up to 15 species of birds during my hour here that included at least 3 Jays and a couple of Chiffchaffs. Robins were singing, despite the rain and a few Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails flew west over Governor’s Green. I was about to rescue a young Wood Pigeon that had flown into a glass window nearby and looked stunned as it wondered what the hell happened on the edge of the road. But as I approached the bird to save it from being squished by a passing car, it thankfully flew up and away over to the nearby trees! Over on Governor’s Green, a large flock of around 40+ Starlings were circling over the field and occasionally settled for a feed among the Black-headed and Herring Gulls.

Earlier this morning, while checking the moths, a Chiffchaff was again in the back gardens, frequently calling and a few Meadow Pipits passed overhead. I remember many years ago when wave after wave of ‘Mipits’ flew high over my house and then I heard a call that could only have been a Red-throated Pipit and I actually saw the bird, though it was only a silhouette. However, these days, without photographic proof, the ‘Rarity Boffs' would probably not accept it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another good haul of moths this morning.

Wednesday 25th September 2024. Canary-shouldered Thorn. It has been a good year for this species in my garden. More rain was forecast today ...