Thursday, August 29, 2024

Four more moths added to my year list.

Thursday 29th August 2024.


This Small Ranunculus moth was my second of the year.

Another fine, but cool morning to start off with at 6am, but with the southerly airflow over the south coast over the past few days, I was hoping to get something exciting in my Moth Box. Thankfully, I did. A total of 65 moths of 33 species were counted this morning that included four more moths that were added to my year list. Top of the pile was a Portland Ribbon Wave; a species I only encountered for the first time last year and so to get one two years running is exceptional. This is a Red Data Book species and a rare immigrant for Europe and rarely encountered in Hampshire.


Above, the Portland Ribbon Wave and below, a Bloxworth Snout.

Other moths new for the year involved three micro moths; Clover Case-bearer, Mottled Oak Tortrix and the very small Firethorn Leaf Miner. My second Small Ranunculus moth for the year was found last night by the moth box and so I potted it for a photo the next day. Just the two Garden Tiger moths were also present this morning. I am starting to use my Bridge Camera more as it is much sharper than my mobile phone and the results are far better.


Mint Moth.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Brimstone Moth
  • Square-spot Rustic 3
  • White-point
  • Bright-line Brown-eye
  • Pale Mottled Willow 5
  • Marbled Beauty 2
  • Garden Carpet 3
  • L-album Wainscot 2
  • Vine’s Rustic 3
  • Garden Tiger 2
  • Portland Ribbon Wave (New for Year)
  • Willow Beauty 5
  • Small Ranunculus
  • Bloxworth Snout
  • Lime-spot Pug 4
  • Small Dusty Wave
  • Double-striped Pug 3
  • Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Box-tree Moth 3
  • Beautiful Plume
  • Chestnut Tortrix 2
  • Common Plume 3
  • Bramble Shoot Moth
  • Meal Moth
  • Rusty-dot Pearl 4
  • Black-banded Masoner
  • Clover Case-bearer (NFY)
  • Mottled Oak Tortrix (NFY)
  • Firethorn Leaf Miner (NFY)
  • Ruddy Streak
  • Marbled Piercer
  • White-shouldered House Moth
  • Mint Moth


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...