Thursday, August 22, 2024

A Red Underwing moth graces my garden.

Thursday 22nd August 2024.


The beautiful Red Underwing moth that was potted last night before I released it again.

This morning's weather looked like a typical Autumn day with strong blustery south-westerly and with the threat of rain. However, last night, just before I retired to bed, a quick check of the Moth Box revealed my first Red Underwing moth of the year. One of my favourite moths (and they are a BIG moth too!), I quickly potted it, took a few photos and then promptly released it as it then rested close to my Moth Box once again.


Another photo of the Red Underwing, showing the superb underwing.

Thankfully, it was still present this morning and so I took a few more photos of this beautiful moth. A member of the Catocala group of moths, it is a relatively common moth for this time of year, though I rarely get them in my garden. I often come across them when I am out birding. I think I saw about three last year, but they really are a really spectacular moth when they open their wings. 


The Red Underwing moth relies on its upperparts to avoid detection from predators.

Again, a low number of moths recorded this morning, 35 moths of 21 species and among them, the migrant moths were Rusty-dot Pearl and a Rusty Acorn Piercer. The Red Underwing was my 103rd moth species for August so far. 


My first L-album Wainscot moth for August.

The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Red Underwing (New for Year)
  • Square-spot Rustic
  • Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
  • Lime-speck Pug
  • Double-striped Pug 5
  • Yellow-barred Brindle
  • L-album Wainscot
  • Garden Carpet
  • Brimstone Moth 2
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
  • Bright-line Brown-eye

MICRO MOTHS:

  • Box-tree Moth 2
  • Chestnut Tortrix
  • Rusty Acorn Piercer
  • Common Plume 5
  • Rusty-dot Pearl
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • Apple Leaf Miner 2
  • Ruddy Streak
  • Dark Moss-moth
  • Common Masoner
  • Barred Marble
  • Chevron Grass-moth

On the birding front, Matt & Emma Parkes were successful in the quest to see the Wryneck up at Fleet Pond, in the north of the County and even took a trip, despite the grim weather, to Lodmoor RSPB Reserve to see the Spotted Crake (a 'Lifer' for them) Well done guys. A Twite was seen well on Martin Down yesterday and a few more Pied Flycatchers popped up in the County. Will I get to see one on my local patch?


The Wryneck near Fleet Pond this morning. Photo by Emma Parkes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...