Tuesday, August 13, 2024

A new 'lifer' moth this morning & back to the Cemy.

Tuesday 13th August 2024.


The Moth Box in action.

It was going to be a very warm night and it was well worth putting the Moth Box on again. Yes, I know I was going to retrap some of the moths from yesterday, but at least the Poplar Hawk-moth from the past few days had gone. This morning, there was a cloudless sky as I set about counting the moths with blurry eyes at 5.50am! 


Another different August Thorn was found near the Box.

Another large selection of moths that included 85 moths of 47 species included another ‘lifer’ when I found the micro moth Verge Case-bearer (Coleophora trochilella). They are apparently recorded in Southsea, but this is a first for me and though they do look similar to others of this family, it most certainly looks good for this species. There were two more moth species that were new for the year that included the macro moth, Currant Pug; a regular annual species to my garden and also the micro moth, Hawthorn Moth, which, again, an annual species to my garden.


My first Verge Case-bearer micro moth.

Garden Tiger moths are increasing in number (can get well into double figures most years) in my garden with six counted today along with just the single Jersey Tiger. Amazingly, I had my second Golden Twin-spot moth of the year (my third ever) and a variety of Grass-moths.


Above, a Hawthorn Moth and below, a Currant Pug; both new for the year.

The following moths were recorded this morning:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • August Thorn
  • Lime-speck Pug 4
  • Double-striped Pug 6
  • Currant Pug (New for Year)
  • Small Dusty Wave
  • Golden Twin-spot
  • Uncertain 2
  • Tree-lichen Beauty 6
  • Brimstone Moth 3
  • Garden Tiger 6
  • Garden Carpet
  • Jersey Tiger
  • Common Rustic 4
  • Square-spotted Rustic 2
  • Willow Beauty 7
  • Marbled Green
  • Marbled Beauty 3
  • Buff Ermine
  • Large Yellow Underwing
  • Cloaked Minor
  • Silver Y 2
  • Pale Mottled Willow 2
  • Bright-line Brown-eye 2
  • Yellow-barred Brindle
  • Cabbage Moth
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart 4
  • Riband Wave
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 7
  • Garden Pebble 2
  • Bird-cherry Ermine
  • Rusty Acorn Piercer
  • Chevron Grass-moth
  • Hawthorn Moth (New for Year)
  • Brown House Moth
  • Broom Shoot Moth
  • Tree-mallow Tortrix
  • Dark-spotted Moss-moth 2
  • Ruddy Streak 3
  • Willow Ermine
  • Black-banded Masoner
  • Common Masoner 5
  • Common Plume 11
  • Chestnut Tortrix 3
  • Verge Case-bearer (LIFER)
  • Grey Knot-horn
  • Common Grass-moth

Insects attracted to my Moth Box this morning included just the one Harlequin Ladybird and a Strawberry Seed Beetle. Overhead, I heard some Swallows singing but I could not locate the birds. Autumn migration should be on its way now and so I look forward to listening out to the migrants going over.


The male Blackcap showed well briefly over in the south side of the Cemy.


I took the dogs for another walk this morning over to Highland Road Cemetery. The weather was good and not too hot, unlike yesterday where it went into the 30’s! There have been some Pied Flycatcher sightings recently including one this morning seen on Portsdown Hill by a fellow ‘Lazee’. I had one in the Cemy a few years back and so I thought I would try my luck here. You never know!


Above, a female Blackbird was one of several Blackbirds that flew out of just one bush. Below, a Great Tit in the same area.



Butterflies were in fairly good numbers today including this Speckled Wood (above) and a Meadow Brown (below).



Above, I was pleased to come across this male Common Blue butterfly around the southern half of the Cemy and below, one of two Hornet-mimic Hoverflies seen this morning.



Smooth Hawksbeard plants were popular today with (above) a Batman Hoverfly and (below) a Yellow-legged Mining Bee.



Above, Yarrow and Field Poppies were still abundant.

There were a few notable sightings within the Cemetery on my walk round and although there was no Pied Flycatcher present, I did find a male Blackcap perched in a bush over in the south side of the Cemy. It posed nicely for a while then flew east towards the gardens. Also in the same bush, a juvenile Goldfinch and at least four Blackbirds were present. Later, on my walk round, I saw the Green Woodpecker being chased briefly by a Magpie; though I think the Woodpecker flew off unharmed. Not often seen here, a Stock Dove flew over and landed in the Holm Oaks before flying off north. The Jay was seen twice on the footpath though it didn't stay long for a photo.

The birds seen or heard in the Cemetery this morning included the following:
  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Stock Dove
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • Wren
  • Goldfinch
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Blackcap
  • Blackbird
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit

A few butterflies were noted this morning that included my first Common Blue of the year on my local patch. It was a fine male and thankfully, despite a dog walker interrupting me taking a photo, the insect settled again for me to take a photo. A few Meadow Browns were seen as well as Small White’s and even a Speckled Wood was found close to the footpath. Oddly, no Red Admirals were seen on the Buddleia, though I did see at least two Hornet-mimic Hoverflies enjoying the plant. At least two, possibly three Vapourer Moths were seen on the wing with their distinctive spiral flight; but as per usual, none settled. However, a White-banded Grass-moth was disturbed from the grass by the dogs and settled nicely on the ground. Just a shame my photo of it was overexposed.


Last Sunday afternoon, the Flying Ants were out and the Gulls soon came including these Mediterranean Gulls over my house.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...