Friday, July 12, 2024

Spoonbill over Old Portsmouth & Swifts.

Friday 12th July 2024.


The Swifts showed superbly this morning entering their respective nest boxes by my house.

Quite an incredible morning in Old Portsmouth during my first shift for not only did I notch up 17 species this morning, but the icing on the cake was a Spoonbill circling high over Old Portsmouth. I didn't have binoculars, but there was no mistaking this lovely bird as it circled several times and then headed off south and out of view. The early morning rain had departed (phew!) leaving behind cloudy conditions with the occasional splash of sunshine now and then. A very light north-easterly wind blew as temperatures hit around 15 degrees.










Above, the Swifts were arriving at their respective nest boxes to feed their young at both mine and my neighbours boxes.

Other interesting birds seen included a lone Sand Martin flying low north. I say that, for it was definitely a Martin and I can only assume by the way it flew that it was a Sand Martin. The regular male Great Spotted Woodpecker was again prominent around Pembroke Road and even showed very well perched on a bare branch in the garden by Pembroke Close; with parents walking their kids to school totally oblivious to the bird. Dunnock, Wren and Robin could be heard nearby, but there was not one sighting of any Starlings on my first shift! Three Swifts sailed overhead, following one another and talking about Swifts; the birds around my nest boxes were showing extremely well when I got back and so I took a few photos of the birds flying to the entrance holes to check on their youngsters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...