Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Swallows over the Cemy.

Tuesday 30th April 2024.


The Oak tree within Highland Road Cemetery can hold some interesting birds including a few Willow Warblers recently.

The Moth Box went on overnight, the first time in quite a few days and I was optimistic that there was to be some decent moths to be had. My day saw me first checking the moth box and then on to Pembroke Road for my first shift. Though it was a near cloudless sky and a southerly wind blowing, it was still cool at first thing, but as the day wore on, it got warmer and so I took the dogs for a walk around Highland Road Cemetery. More cracking birds are turning up nearby which included a Woodchat Shrike near Littlehampton in West Sussex and a pale-phased Pomarine Skua went through the Solent this morning and into West Sussex.


Above, though a common moth, this Bright-line Brown-eye was my first for 2024. Below, up to three Brimstone Moths were present by my box today.

The Moth Box:

My first Bright-line Brown-eye moth of the year was inside the moth box this morning and up to three Brimstone Moths and a Double-striped Pug represented the ‘macro’ moths today. ‘Micro’ moths included 1 Common Plume, 1 White-shouldered House Moth, 1 Ruddy Streak and up to 6 Light Brown Apple Moths. 

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

Sadly, it was a lot quieter around Pembroke Road this morning, although I did not take a walk around Curtain Moat this time. All the usual birds were noted, but nothing out of the ordinary this morning. I got a text from Matt Parkes that he had a 30 Swifts above his head in Alresford, in north Hampshire this morning! I have yet to see a single Swift over Portsmouth this year, though it should be imminent. A total of 14 species were seen today here at Pembroke Road where both Dunnock and Great Black-backed Gull were added here for my day total where the temperature climbed up to around 17 degrees. Very nice.


Above and below, Starlings were very busy searching for food on the grass within Highland Road Cemetery.



Above, this Robin was one of several seen today in full song and below, this Carrion Crow keeping an eye on its nest site within the Cemy.

Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:

There was hardly a cloud overhead when I entered the Cemetery at around midday and the wind had lightened up a bit too. I was thinking of doing a seawatch this morning, but it is a little exposed on where I sat last time, but I must think about trying it this week, possibly. Now that Pomarine Skua’s are passing through (and I probably would have seen that bird as it did pass Gilkicker this morning). 


Above, Germander Speedwell was growing abundantly throughout the Cemetery and below, this grave was entirely covered with Herb Robert plants.

17 species were recorded this morning and it kicked off nicely with a pair of Swallows belting across the Cemetery heading north over the rooftops; birds that have no doubt freshly arrived into the UK. The Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard again, but with the leaves now on the trees, it was near impossible to see the bird; though I did hear it twice. No warblers were noted this time on my walk round, but it was noticeable that the local Starlings were very busy searching for food on the recently mown grass and allowing a close approach even with my dogs!


Above, this Robin was doing a 'Flycatcher' impression and below, this male Blackbird posed nicely in the sunshine.

The only butterflies seen here today were Holly Blue’s that were quite numerous if truth be said. One gave itself up well and perched on a tree for me to grab a nice photo in the sunshine. When I got home, not only a Holly Blue flew over the garden, but also a Small White; which was only my second of the year. Batman Hoverflies were abundant too under the canopy of the Horse Chestnut trees.


Above and below, Batman Hoverflies (Myathropa florea) basking in the sunshine.

The birds seen or heard within the Cemetery this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Blackbird
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Swallow (2)
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker  


Holly Blue butterflies were in good numbers today in the Cemetery.

I had the dreaded Dentists this afternoon in Waterlooville and on the way there, I saw an adult Mediterranean Gull flying low over the A27 and a couple of Common Buzzards over the same road. Someone reported a couple of Swifts over Old Portsmouth this afternoon, so at least some have arrived over our lovely City.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cabbage Moth was new for the year.

Tuesday 21st May 2024 My first Cabbage Moth of the year. The moth was just starting to vibrate its wings when this photo was taken and even...