Thursday, April 25, 2024

House Martins over Old Portsmouth.

Thursday 25th April 2024.


This Willow Warbler was found in the north-east corner of Highland Road Cemetery, singing quietly high up in the Oak tree.

It was bright and sunny when I arrived at Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth, this morning; but a heavy shower rolled in early this morning just before I left for work and thankfully, it was gone by the time I arrived. A breezy south-westerly kept the temperatures down and at just 8 degrees, it was like sitting in a fridge…... .again! There was no moth box overnight, although I wish I had as the wind had died down and it did look promising overnight. Maybe I will tonight. Yesterday, I saw a Common Buzzard very high up over my garden heading north and with wings half closed, it looked as though it was on a mission. Migrant bird perhaps? An adult Med Gull was seen flying over Pembroke Road yesterday of which 15 species of birds were noted during my day there. The long-staying Marsh Sandpiper and a Curlew Sandpiper was still attracting attention down at Normandy Marshes, there was also news of a Marsh Warbler at Fishlake Meadows; though what I read on the ‘Lazee’s’ Whatsapp site poured scepticism on the sighting. 

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

Today, 17 species were recorded on my two shifts in Pembroke Road and I think the best sighting was literally when I got in the car to go home on my second shift. I just casually glanced at the Bowling Green to my right, when I spotted a pair of House Martins flying west low over the Green! Still no sign of any Swifts overhead yet, but surely one will be seen this week? Though cold, it was bright and sunny for most of my first shift, but this afternoon, it became cloudier and occasionally, it spat with rain. 


Above, the Cemetery is now looking very green and below, I liked this photo of this Robin with Ivy-leaved Toadflax behind it growing on the perimeter wall.



Above, a smart looking male Blackbird in the sunshine and below, Ox-eye Daisies are now out in bloom.

Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:

After my first shift at Pembroke Road and the chores I had lined up for the morning, then I took the dogs for their walk around Highland Road Cemetery. It was still bright and sunny still when I arrived there, but I could hear the Council cutting the grass again over on the east side of the Cemy. Bugger! Though to be honest, they concentrated on just one area of the Cemy, so there was a chance of finding something interesting in the rest of the Cemetery. But it wasn't till nearly the end of my walk when I found a Willow Warbler quietly singing high up in the Oak tree in the north-east corner. It was in exactly the same area where I saw one here last Friday. Surely, not the same bird? Seventeen species were noted this morning, which is about average, but there should be more as the month wears on.


Above, a smart Great Tit singing by the main footpath and below, this Robin singing from the top of a tall gravestone.



Above, Germander Speedwell was abundant throughout the Cemetery and below, a Grey-necked Mining bee laden with pollen around the Horse Chestnut trees.

The birds seen or heard in the Cemy this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Willow Warbler
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Wren 
  • Robin
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Wren
  • Blackbird


Above, Field Forget-me-not's growing by a grave. I cannot recall seeing this species here in the Cemetery. Below, the Willow Warbler in the north-east corner of the Cemy.



Above and below, this Blue Tit blended in well with its surroundings.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Kestrel and Swallow over Pembroke Road.

Friday 3rd May 2024. This juvenile Blackbird was found in the north-east corner of Highland Road Cemetery today, my second young bird of the...