Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Garganey showing well at Posbrook Floods.

Tuesday 16th April 2024.


The pair of Garganey on Posbrook Floods this morning with a Coot in the background. It is always great to catch up with this lovely duck species and this site seems to be a favourite before the birds depart northbound.

There was still a rather cold wind blowing this morning down Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth, but nowhere near as windy as yesterday and later in the afternoon, on my second shift, it was pleasantly very warm again, ‘sunglasses weather’! I arrived early for my first shift in Pembroke Road and took a walk around the Curtain Moat area, just in case there might have been a migrant dropped in. When I finished my shift, I took a drive to the Canal Path over Titchfield to try my luck for yesterdays pair of Garganey and thankfully, they were there on Posbrook Floods,


Above, this small field of Bulbous Buttercups was eyecatching near the Curtain Moat.


Above, Bulbous Buttercups and below, Sticky Mouse-ear Chickweed.

Pembroke Road / Curtain Moat, Old Portsmouth:

14 species were notched up today at Pembroke Road and although there was nothing really of note, I did have a tantalising quick sighting of a Hirundine this afternoon; but the view was very brief as it flew west over Governor’s Green. My hunch was probably a Martin species, but simply not enough time to get a decent view. I constantly checked the bright sky overhead for my first Swift of the year (one was seen this morning over Titchfield Haven), but very little was flying over. A male Pied Wagtail was on the Bowling Green and although I scanned the Solent thoroughly for anything of note, it was very quiet, bar the Hovercraft making its way over to the Isle of Wight! There was a pair of Linnets on the hill opposite the Church but soon flew off north.  On the east side of Curtain Moat, the grass was covered with Bulbous Buttercup and Sticky Mouse-ear Chickweed. Later in the afternoon, a Small White butterfly flew past me on Pembroke Road; the only butterfly I saw today. 


Above, this Roe Deer was my first notable sighting of my trip to Posbrook Floods this morning. Below, my first sighting of a Common Whitethroat this year, seen along the northern end of the Canal Path.



Above, the same Common Whitethroat which possibly was nest-building already? Below, the juvenile Little Gull on the Bridge Street Floods.



The singing male Common Whitethroat on the Canal Walk.

The Canal Path, Posbrook Floods and Bridge Street Floods, Titchfield:

This morning, here on the Canal Path, it was going to be a good day for Warblers. It kicked off superbly when I heard and then saw my first Common Whitethroat of the year; seen singing its heart out and then flying down low into some nearby bramble by the path. The bird showed very well at times and I even managed to film the bird briefly singing in one of the small trees. Another bird was seen out in the fields to the east and I am sure another was seen further along the path. Chiffchaffs were also in good voice with at least four or five singing males along with at least three singing male Blackcaps. I could hear a Sedge Warbler singing somewhere in the distance between the Bridge Street Floods and Posbrook Floods, but I did not get a sighting of the bird. I was sure I heard a Lesser Whitethroat singing briefly while I was checking out Posbrook Floods, but no sightings I’m afraid. Hopefully, I might catch up with one this Spring for I failed to see one last year in Hampshire!


Above, the Little Gull (right) with a Black-headed Gull on the Bridge Street Flood and below, a female Stonechat was one of a pair searching for food in front of this Flood.



Above and below, this Chiffchaff was in full song in the Willow trees along the Canal Path. One of many along here this morning.



Above and below, just some of the 100+ Sand Martins present over Posbrook Floods this morning.

Out in the fields, in front of the Bridge Street Floods, there was a pair of Stonechats going about their business and on the Floods itself, I found the juvenile Little Gull flying up and down the stretch of pool; though it did get some hassle from a Black-headed Gull at times. This bird has been present for several days now and it showed well, albeit distantly, all the time I was there. I checked the area thoroughly for waders, but the only species I could see was a Lapwing. An Egyptian Goose was present there along with a few Canada Geese. Onto Posbrook Floods, I got a good vantage point overlooking the water from the Canal Path, but initially, there was no sign of the Garganey. They notoriously hide among the rushes out in the Floods, but for now, no sign of the birds, so I made do with my next ‘year-tick’ of the morning, the Sand Martins. At one time, there must have been at least 100+ Sand Martins present and should a raptor come in, they would group up into one tight big flock until the danger passed. A few House Martins and Swallows were also seen among the many Sand Martins. The raptors in question included a male Marsh Harrier and a Red Kite that flew low over the Floods, putting up the many Teal present. It was then that I spotted the pair of Garganey swimming just in front of the nearby sedges and then they took off too, spooked by the Kite it seemed as they flew around the area with the 30+ Teal. The birds eventually settled back in the sedges and seemed at peace with the world as I then made my way slowly back to the car.


Above, this Red Kite drifted over only to be harassed by a Carrion Crow. Below, the wildfowl hardly got any rest as this male Marsh Harrier flew over as well as the Kite.



Above, these Teal soon flew out of hiding among the sedges while a couple of Shovelers looked on.  Below, even the Garganey took flight and it was a job to relocate the birds.





Above, some more photos of the Garganey.

A Kingfisher was a nice surprise. I first heard it calling along the Canal and then saw the bird flying south low over the Canal and then zooming upwards to fly over the trees and out of sight. Cetti’s Warblers exploded their calls deep within cover, though I did see at least two birds briefly. A flock of Long-tailed Tits were searching the Willow trees while I enjoyed the songs of several Warbler species. The sun was fully shining, but surprisingly, there were hardly any insects around and certainly no butterflies. Greater Stitchwort and Cow Parsley were abundant along the Canal Path which was bordered by Nettles. One of the local birders also reported a Lesser Whitethroat early this morning from the Canal Path and she also reported a female Goosander on the Bridge Street Floods, but had gone by the time I checked it out thoroughly. I have now seen 160 species of birds in Hampshire this year and with more migrants pouring through and some good scarce birds, it could be a better year than last year.


The drake Garganey on Posbrook Floods.


Above, Greater Stitchwort and below Cow Parsley, both of which were abundant along the Canal Path.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Yellow Wagtail over Pembroke Road.

Monday 29th April 2024. The alleyway from the Curtain Moat back to Pembroke Road. I took the right hand path back to Pembroke Road where a W...