Monday, March 18, 2024

Took a walk around Curtain Moat.

Monday 18th March 2024.


Curtain Moat looking east. There was always the possibility of something unsuaul here, but all I could find were a few Starlings and House Sparrows occupying the holes in the walls here as well as plenty of Feral Pigeons. A pair of Meadow Pipits did fly over while I was there.

Another start to the working week and on my first shift today down Pembroke Road, it was overcast, yet cool at first thing at 7.15am, but as the morning wore on, drizzle came in, but it only lasted about an hour or so. A light south-westerly was blowing over Southsea and hoping a migrant or two might be found this morning, I decided to get to Pembroke Road early and check out the area around Curtain Moat nearby. I had my moth box overnight and all that was present were just two Plume Moths. Hurrumph!





The top three photos are of the female Sparrowhawk flying over Governor's Green heading north. Below, one of the footpaths leading back to Pembroke Road. Plenty of vegetation here for any passing migrant to hide in. So looking forward to this Spring here.



Above, Starlings on one of the lights above Curtain Moat.

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

As mentioned, after parking up in Pembroke Road, I took a stroll with both my binoculars and camera to the area of Curtain Moat. A female Sparrowhawk flew overhead heading north high over Governor’s Green, followed by a squadron of wary Starlings in tow. A good start to my morning walk here and soon afterwards, two Meadow Pipits flew high over heading westbound. Nothing was swimming on the Moat and casting an eye over a very still Solent, nothing of note was passing by. There were quite a few dog-walkers here this morning and so anything of note might have been flushed as I made my way back to the car. There were no Brent Geese on Governor’s Green at first, just the usual Wood Pigeons, but they did return around 8.30am when 9 birds flew in, circled the area and then flew off again. However, four birds did return and settled on the damp grass just before I left on my first shift here. Other birds of note were a flock of 6 Cormorants all flying in a line heading east overhead and a pair of Great Black-backed Gulls heading south over Governor’s Green. 20 species were seen here in all this morning and this afternoon, I my second shift at Pembroke Road, a Jay was added to my day total when I saw it fly up to some of the roadside trees adjacent to Governor's Green, thus making it my highest ever total at this site. 


A male Dartford Warbler at Wareham Forest last week. Photo by Emma Parkes.

In Hampshire this morning, a Red-necked Grebe was seen off Butts Lagoon, Pennington Marshes along with 3 Slavonian Grebes present there. Birding pal, Geoff Farwell took as stroll around  Bramdean Common, near Alresford in north Hampshire where he recorded the following sightings: 9 singing Firecrest, 3 singing Woodlark, 2 Marsh Tit, 5 singing Chiffchaff, 26 Siskin, 2 Raven, 2 Common Buzzard and a Red Kite.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...