Tuesday, March 12, 2024

A decent haul of moths today.

Tuesday 12th March 2024.


My second Hebrew Character moth of the year and my first in my garden moth box.

I put the moth box on overnight and was disappointed to wake up to the sound of rain belting down outside. After Andy Fisher’s small haul of moths last Saturday, I really fancied my chances in attracting a few moths and lucky for me, a total of six moths were present of four species; two of which were new for the year. Though it was a thoroughly wet affair this morning, there were a few species seen this morning in Pembroke Road and I rounded the day off with a quick walk around Highland Road Cemetery with my dogs after my second shift now that the rain had stopped.

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

Up to 12 species were seen this morning with only 11 Brent Geese seen on Governor’s Green during the time I was there. A Great Black-backed Gull flew over the same field and headed off west, but very little else that was noteworthy in the rain. Even this afternoon was very quiet. The same toadstools I had found yesterday were still present on the flower bed, but the guys on a couple of Facebook Toadstool sites failed to ID the said toadstools. 


The end of an era. This Pine was finally started to be chopped up by the Council in the south-west part of the Cemetery.

Highland Road Cemetery:

So around 4.30pm, I took the dogs for a walk around the Cemetery again, but this time without my camera. I really wasn't intending to spend too long here as I had enough to do at home, but the Green Woodpecker was heard (but not seen) and good numbers of Greenfinches (10+) and Goldfinch (15+) were noted. A total of 15 species were seen in all. Sadly, the fallen old Pine tree in the south-west corner had been all but chopped down by the Council today (see photo); probably due to health & safety I assume. Such a shame as it provided a good roosting spot for the Collared Doves and Wood Pigeons and many Goldcrest and Chiffchaff have been seen in this very tree over the years.


Above, there were two Light Brown Apple Moths in the moth box and below, my first Double-striped Pug.



Above, my first White-shouldered House Moth and below, one of two Common Plumes.

Moth box:

After making my wife a cup of tea and now that it was dry, I went back into the garden to check the moth box. Carefully taking off the rainguards, I first found my first Double-striped Pug of the year, sitting on the edge of the plastic trunk my box sits on. A good start. I then found my first White-shouldered House Moth perched on the fence behind the box and within the box itself, there was a Hebrew Character, two Common Plume and two Light Brown Apple Moths.  Let there be many more moths in the coming months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...