Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Fox on the Rocks!

Tuesday 20th February 2024.


The dog Fox on the rocks by Southsea Castle.

It was a lot colder than I expected it to be this morning as I went about my first shift at Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth. Thankfully, I had the cold weather gear in the car and this morning, I notched up 18 species in all, which included a flock of 12 Brent Geese plus a single bird; a Cormorant and a singing Dunnock! Nothing, I suppose, that would set the birding world alight, but the ‘day-ticks’ came thick and fast during the first 20 minutes there.


Above, a small flock of Brent Geese flew over the Castle area.


Above and below, a 'sinensis' race of Cormorant heading west low over the Solent. Unfortunately, very little else over the Solent.

Afterwards, before heading off home, I brought my camera and binoculars along with me this morning for I wanted to check out Southsea Castle for a possible Black Redstart and also to see the Purple Sandpipers again. Sadly, there were neither on show today and the weather got worse too with a drizzle in the air making visibility over the Solent very poor. For my efforts, a dog Fox was sat on the rocks staring at me in my high-viz gear, but at least he posed for the camera nicely. The only other birds around here were a couple of Cormorants, a few Black-headed Gulls loafing on the sea and good old Feral Pigeons sat on the Castle Wall. A few Brent Geese flew over, but apart from that, naff all (as Fletch from Porridge would say)!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...