Monday, January 22, 2024

My friends photo gallery.

Monday 22nd January 2024.


The drake Ferruginous Duck on Posbrook Floods which was still present today. Photo by John Manley.

As Storm Isha (our 9th big storm of the winter!!!) rips through the UK, causing chaos and extremely strong winds throughout, on a positive note, I thought I would share some of the superb photos my friends on Facebook and also the ‘Lazee Birders’ have taken over the past few days, with their permission of course. We were blessed this weekend with some amazing birds, which had all us ‘listers’ on the run and I am wondering what this latest storm will bring to our shores?


Above, a Cattle Egret at Warblington. Photo by Emma Parkes. Below, this Bittern was seen and photographed by Mark Francis at Titchfield Haven this morning.




Above, a Ring-necked Parakeet at Queens Park, Southampton. Photo by Andy Tew. Below, a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in the New Forest. Photo by Rob Porter.

Though I had many household chores to do and also a ‘Tip run’ to do yesterday, I still managed to see the female Blackcap in my garden again, feeding on one of the Apple halves I put out earlier in the morning. Birding pal, Geoff Farwell, took a walk from Woodcroft Farm (just north of Waterlooville) to Head Down and recorded the following bird sightings: 253 Redwing, Stonechat, Firecrest, Brambling, Sparrowhawk, Red Kite and a Common Buzzard. This morning, there were 23 Brent Geese on Governor’s Green, Old Portsmouth this morning, but nothing all that exciting among the 12 species I saw on my first shift. A Bittern was seen this morning from the Bridge near the Reserve Centre and the two Waxwings were still in the Braishfield area again. 


Above, the Siberian Chiffchaff in the churchyard near the Bridge Street Floods. Photo by Mark Francis. Below, a Tawny Owl in the New Forest last weekend. Photo by Pete Appleton.



The long staying Long-tailed Duck on Hayling Oyster Beds. Photo by Emma Parkes. Below, Andy Fisher successfully 'year-ticked' the Water Pipit on the Bridge Street Floods and also the Siberian Chiffchaff in the nearby churchyard. There is no stopping this man!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...