Friday, January 5, 2024

First Sparrowhawk of the year over Old Portsmouth.

Friday 5th January 2024.


The female Great Spotted Woodpecker put in an appearance today, but it is not often I get to photograph this species away from a tree.

There was much better weather this morning as the heavy rain that has flooded a lot of the UK had departed here in the south coast. I made my way to my first shift this morning under a very pink sky as the sun reflected its ray on the overhead clouds. During my hour in Pembroke Road, I notched up a respectable 16 species this morning that included my first Sparrowhawk of the year. I was actually just getting out of the car when I spotted a raptor flapping slowly high overhead. The wing beats were rather slow at first and I doubted my theory that it was actually a Sparrowhawk, but then it went in normal mode and it was obviously a female Sparrowhawk. The regular Jay was seen again and all the usual suspects were present and correct.


Above, yes, the sky was THAT pink this morning at 7.45am. Below, another photo of the female Great Spotted Woodpecker in the Cemetery.



Above, one of the three Song Thrushes seen this morning near the Yew Tree. Below, there was a healthy number of Starlings around the Cemy and even got the moon in this photo too!



Above, one of several singing Robins this morning. This one was sharing the tree with the Song Thrushes. Below, Collared Dove numbers are increasing here.



Above, the male Chaffinch landed in one of the taller trees and below, yet another Robin in full song. Gorgeous.





Top three photos are of the Redwings that perched up on high in the tall trees near the Mausoleum.

Of course, as soon as I got home, it was back over Highland Road Cemetery with my dogs where I notched up 18 species during my walk round. The female Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen this morning, this time perched on a wooden fence panel on the west side of the Cemetery! I never would have expected to see one there, but they obviously visit gardens as well as the Cemetery. Thrush numbers were good, with a nice flock of 7 Redwing high up in the tallest trees in the Cemy and in the south-west corner by the Yew Tree, at least three Song Thrushes were noted. A male Chaffinch flew over and began calling once landed in a tall tree; a good record here and finally, just the one Jay was seen flying low over the graves.

Bird species recorded this morning included the following: 

  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Chaffinch (male)
  • Goldfinch
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker (female)
  • Jay
  • Magpie 
  • Carrion Crow
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush (3+)
  • Redwing (7)


Birding pal, Andy Fisher managed to grab a photo of the Barn Owl at Warblington yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...