Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Another Diver species flying over Old Portsmouth.

Wednesday 31st January 2024.


An adult and juvenile Herring Gull on top of one of the Chapels. A familiar sight in the Cemy and despite being a common species, always welcome to see the birds go about their business.

Well, that month went quickly and already it's the last day of January and a chilly one too. An overcast sky this morning with a breezy south-westerly blowing down the road while working in Old Portsmouth earlier today. On my first shift, I counted at least 15 species this morning and though there were just 8 Brent Geese on Governor’s Green when I arrived first thing, but as the morning wore on, a further 24 birds flew in to start grazing on the short grass that was being mown by the Council during that time. A male Sparrowhawk was a nice surprise as it flew up into one of the Holm Oaks and then settled briefly on the bare tree overlooking the Outdoor Bowls Green by Pembroke Road. The bird then flew over the road, just above my head, then flew off north bound. My final notable sighting during my first shift was a Diver species…again. This time, I was thinking that this was a Red-throated Diver that was making its way to nearby Portsmouth Harbour. Fast wing-beats, slim and pale looking, though it was a shame I did not have my binoculars on me. Not a bad hour at all.


Above, the ever present Starlings squabbling on one of the neighbours rooftops. below, a lone singing Goldfinch in one of the smaller trees.



One of several Blue Tits seen this morning and a showy individual too. Below, a female Greenfinch also in one of the smaller trees.

When I got back home, I got the dogs ready for their walk around Highland Road Cemetery and made sure that I was dressed properly for the occasion. The cold air can sink right into your bones, or is it my old age? A good total of 22 species were encountered on my walk around the Cemetery that included a calling Green Woodpecker and a solitary Redwing. The former was only heard, twice in fact, but unfortunately, never seen; whereas the Redwing was seen perched high up in one of the small trees over on the east side of the Cemy. Its tell-tale call gave it away and it didn't take long to locate the bird. Earlier today, just before sunrise, a Blackbird was heard singing at the back of my garden and here, within the Cemetery, a Song Thrush was also in full song. Spring is on its way. 


Above, a male Blackbird was one of many seen today and below, one of its northern cousins, the Redwing, showed well high up over on the east side.



Above, a pair of Great Tits were seen well over on the east side and below, yet another showy Blackbird close to the perimeter footpath.

As well as the regular dog-walkers that I met and chatted with (some can be quite interesting with tales of their sightings here), I met a lady from the Council from the Safe Clean Tidy Team. She asked me about how many dog-walkers let their dogs off the lead (it's not allowed here) and if I had seen any recently. Thankfully, I haven't, but I have seen them in the past and promised here I will report it to her should I see any. The news is full of dog attacks throughout the UK and aggressive dogs towards other dogs; something I will not tolerate. I am very careful with my dogs, who would simply lick you to death!!! 

The birds seen this morning within the Cemetery included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Goldfinch
  • Greenfinch
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush
  • Redwing

In Hampshire today, the two Waxwings are still in the Braishfield area of Romsey and a Bittern was both seen and heard ‘booming’ in nearby Fishlake Meadows and someone claimed a Black Redstart by its call using an App at Sandy Point. Draw your own conclusions at that one!


Above, fellow 'Lazee' Andy Tew took this photo today of a Razorbill off Sandy Point and below, the Glossy Ibis are still present at Posbrook Floods. Photo by Emma Parkes.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...