Thursday, November 2, 2023

Storm Ciaran arrives!

Thursday 2nd November 2023.


I wanted to take a photo of the Herring Gull on the Outfall with the crashing waves in the background, but when I checked the photo out on my laptop, this Sandwich Tern actually photo bombed the picture! It was most likely the one I had seen earlier in the harbour entrance over on the Hayling side.

I had a text yesterday from my Boss that I was not to work tomorrow doing both my first and second shift and all the schools in Portsmouth were too close due to Storm Ciaran hitting the UK last night and most of today, with the Met Office declaring an Amber Warning for the south coast.  So I was to have today off and of course, I had to go out and check somewhere for a possible storm driven bird hanging around on the sea somewhere. After last nights ‘Lazee Birder’ Curry night where arguably some of the best of Hampshire's birders enjoyed an evening in the Shalimar Curry house in Waterlooville, I was asked if I was going for a sea watch tomorrow, in which I replied that I possibly could.


Above, a Starling on my wing mirror by the harbour entrance. Below, a pair of Starlings with a male House Sparrow.



Above, Starlings gather on the perimeter fence of the University Building by the harbour entrance and below, more House Sparrows on an upturned boat nearby.



Above, a distant Great Crested Grebe off Lock Lake and below, a flock of Oystercatchers flying east over the harbour.



A large contingent of Dunlin flying out of the harbour with a Sandwich Tern. 

I had opted to give the harbour entrance a try at Eastney, but apart from a flock of loafing Black-headed Gulls on the water, all was very quiet here. I strolled down to the Hayling Ferry Terminal, passing a very large flock of Starlings on the way and good numbers of House Sparrows along the way. There was a strong wind blowing from the wind, but nowhere near as strong as last night as I scanned the harbour among the boats, but all I could find was a lone Great Crested Grebe on the water and a few flocks of both Turnstone and Oystercatcher passing through. A lone Sandwich Tern was fishing over on the Hayling side of the harbour entrance and even from the the Ferry Road Car Park, all was very quiet here, so I took a walk down the Outfall, thoroughly checked the large waves off the ‘Winner’ area of Hayling and even drew a blank here. 


Above, a lone Oystercatcher to the west of the Outfall. Below, the Outfall itself where I walked to the end to check out the sea for a possible Leach's.



Above, a third winter Herring Gull braving the wind on the Outfall and below, an Oystercatcher heading west over the harbour entrance.



Above, more Dunlin pour out of Langstone Harbour and below, even Turnstone are heading west over the sea.



With news of good numbers of Leach's Petrels going past Selsey Bill and a misidentified flock of Common Scoter also going past the Bill, could there be something lurking about around the harbour entrance at Eastney. The simple answer to that was NOPE! I spent a good couple of hours around the area, checking both the habour entrance and also the northern end of Langstone Harbour, but to no avail. However, some of the other ‘Lazee’s’ had far better luck including Mark Francis at Hill Head where he saw at least two seperate Leach's Petrels flying east. Another bird was seen from Eastoke Beach Car Park by another birder, but Selsey Bill had at least 35 past today!!!!


Above, one of two Leach's Petrels flying over the Solent from Hill Head today. Photo by Mark Francis. Below, a Long-tailed Duck took shelter on the pools at the Oyster Beds, Hayling Island this morning. Photo by Chris Geary.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...