Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The Cemy becomes a Meadow!

Monday 5th June 2023.


I have never in all the years I have been coming here seen the grass so high and the amount of wild flowers here was incredible. It reminded me of one of the unspoilt meadows that could only benefit the wildlife here. 

Though the weather was a tad warm this afternoon, I nonetheless took a stroll around my local patch, Highland Road Cemetery and I was taken aback when I noticed that the Council has not cut the grass for a number of weeks by the look of it. In fact, I have never seen grass this high within this Cemetery and better still, there were wild flowers everywhere, including a few new for the year as well. So, I took my time as I walked round slowly the Cemetery, taking in the many colourful plants and also keeping an eye on both the birds and insects.


Above, a male Blackbird was in full song high up in one of the Lime Trees. Below, Mallow is now out in bloom with a few areas holding this plant within the Cemy.



Above, Scarlet Pimpernel is now in bloom also and below, the Cemy looks like one of those old country Cemeteries. Personally, I think it looks great. 

Firstly the birds where I notched up 14 species of birds during my walk round. Though nothing out of the ordinary, it really felt like Summer here with Blackbirds singing, chattering fledgelings of Blue Tits high up in the trees and parties of Swifts scything across the blue sky. Birds seen in the Cemetery included the following:

  •  Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • House Sparrow
  • Dunnock
  • Robin
  • Blue Tit
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Goldfinch
  • Wren
  • Swift

However, it was the plants that really stood out and probably the most notable were the swathes of Ox-eye Daisies that lit up the place. Vast clumps of them were dotted throughout the Cemetery and joined by Field Poppies, very tall Smooth Sow-thistle and the colourful Birds-foot Trefoil. Other abundant plants included Common Cat's-ear, Field Speedwell, Daisy, Bulbous Buttercup and Scarlet Pimpernel (the latter being my first sighting of this plant this year). I even found a clump of Green Alkanet growing close to the Mausoleum, which was a surprise.


Above, the photo really does not do these Ox-eye Daisies justice for they were shimmering in the bright sunshine all over the Cemetery. Below, Herb Bennett growing by the wall at the southern end of the Cemetery. My first sighting of this plant this year.



Above, this Carrion Crow was holding territory on top of this ornamental Pine. Below, standing out like a sore thumb, this Blackthorn Bush was completely in flower. Good news for the insects, I believe.

Surprisingly, insects were a little hard to come by though there were plenty of Marmalade Hoverflies on the wing where there were sunny glades around the trees. A Lasioglossum species was found feeding on a Cats-ear plant and was most likely the species Common Furrow-bee, of which I saw quite a few of these. There was also a Bumble Bee species that I though looked interesting that was enjoying nectaring on the Dog Rose bushes and Bramble flowers that was identified as Bombus vestalis, Southern Cuckoo Bumble-bee, which I think is a ‘lifer’ for me. The only butterflies seen were a few Holly Blue’s still lingering around.


Above, this male House Sparrow was 'chirruping' on a rooftop at the south end of the Cemetery. Below, Field Poppies grew abundantly.



Above, a probable Common Furrow-bee on a Cats-ear plant. Below, a male Southern Cuckoo Flower Bee was one of several around this Bramble within the Cemy.

Again, I have to reiterate how tall the grass and flowers have taken over the Cemetery and now looks quite overgrown, but so attractive. The grass species, which were easily over 3ft tall, included Wall Barley, Yorkshire Fog, Cultivated Oat and Upright Brome. True, we have not had any rain now for at least a couple of weeks and had wall to wall sunshine instead. Rain is forecast for a while towards the end of the week, which will save me watering the garden again! Back in my garden, I saw my first House Sparrow fledgling being fed by its father on my patio late this afternoon. Superb. 


Above, the Hoverfly, Syritta pipiens, enjoying the Cats-ear plants. Below, an adult Blue Tit searching for food for its hungry young that was high up in one of the trees.



Above, Birds-foot Trefoil now growing along the footpaths and below, my first Nipplewort plant seen this year.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...