Sunday, May 14, 2023

Muslin Moth is new for the year.

Sunday 14th May 2023.


My first Muslin Moth of the year in my moth box this morning.

My garden is in a bit of a mess this morning due to the fact my wife wanted the old Buddleia tree ripped out and replaced by a multi-coloured one instead and so this morning, I ache like hell! At least I had my moth box to check out early first thing this morning and then contemplate going through round 2 of tidying the garden up!


A selection of the moths in and around my moth box this morning: from left to right: Light Brown Apple Moth, Tachystola acroxantha, Angle Shades, Muslin Moth and Shuttle-shaped Dart.

Another new moth for the year produced a nice moth, a Muslin Moth, which is uncommon in my garden, with very few records of note. Though again, 20 moths of 9 species is still low for this time of year. Yesterday, which I forgot to mention on my blog, there was a Chiffchaff in the tall tree in my neighbours garden, doing a little bit of singing as well; though I never got a glimpse of the bird. Yesterday, in the warm afternoon while I was knocking back a cold beer, I was watching all the Bees (including Hairy-footed Flower Bee and Honey Bee) and Hoveflies (Batman and Marmalade Hoverflies) and probably a few other species along with at least four Holly Blue butterflies dancing about around the garden. Superb. 

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Muslin Moth
  • 1 Buff Ermine
  • 2 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 2 Angle Shades
  • 2 Double-striped Pug
  • 8 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Eudonia angustea
  • 2 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 1 White-shouldered House Moth


The Yellow-billed Kite near Newport, Isle of Wight. This African species of Kite was found earlier this week at Lyn tip, Newport, Isle of Wight. 'Lazee Birder' Ashley Howe, photographed the bird yesterday. Whether its an escape from a Hawk collection somewhere or a genuine wild bird remains to be seen. 

It was back to getting the garden up together today and getting stuck into it, despite aching like a b****, I got busy cutting up the remaining boughs of our old Buddleia. While talking to my neighbour, I heard a Willow Warbler singing nearby and eventually, I found the bird perched in the large tree at the back of my neighbours garden. The bird did not linger long but stayed in the vicinity for around 20 minutes or so. Most probably, the bird had flown in overnight and made landfall in the area. I still think that Willow Warblers have been very scarce this Spring, so maybe they are finally arriving in numbers?


I'm going to stick my neck out here as I think this is a Grey Pine Carpet moth that I found in the New Forest yesterday.

While moving pots and plants around and tidying up, I disturbed a few moths which were unexpected that included a Bloxworth Snout and a Pale Mottled Willow to add to my day total. Holly Blue butterflies were abundant all morning in the garden and one individual actually settled right by my foot! What is it with feet that these moths like?


Above, Andy Tew had this Spotted Flycatcher from his house today and below, this Arctic Tern was off Hill Head today. Photo by Mark Francis.




Hampshire experienced some interesting birds today that included a flock of 12 Glossy Ibis that settled briefly on Hayling Oyster Beds before flying off north towards Portsdown Hill. On the Hampshire border near the River Avon, lies Ripley Reservoir and today, a small flock of 3 Temminck’s Stints were found along with a Sanderling and entertained the many ‘Lazee Birders’ present. Back at Hill Head, a pair of Arctic Terns showed well offshore and two Arctic Skua’s went east.    




The Glossy Ibis on Hayling Oysterbeds today. Photos by Andy Friend.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...