Monday, May 29, 2023

Low numbers, but a new moth.

Tuesday 30th May 2023.


With a wing span of just 11mm, this small micro moth Bryotropha basaltinella was new for the year.

Back from a refreshing break at Center Parcs, I just couldn't resist putting my moth box on overnight after watering the garden. So, up and about at 4.45am, I went outside to check the box in breezy cool conditions. I think the clear sky overhead and cool temperature did not help with the volume of moths 


Willow Beauty.

Surprisingly, there was a new moth for the year, a small micro moth called Bryotropha basaltinella and possibly a second individual but it flew off before I could get another look at it. Two White Ermine were present among the 11 moths of 8 species this morning. It didn't take long for the Sparrows to turn up, but I hid the moths well this morning.  


One of two White Ermine moths.

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Willow Beauty
  • 1 Vine’s Rustic
  • 1 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 2 White Ermine
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 1 Bryotropha basaltinella
  • 3 Light Brown Apple Moth 

Yesterday, Hampshire hosted a few Black Terns off Hill Head, with many more noted throughout the UK and on Pennington Marshes, both Temminck’s and Little Stint were present. 


Time for a bath. This male House Sparrow enjoyed my bird bath this afternoon.

This afternoon, while watering the plants, I decided to put more Dried Mealworms out for the House Sparrows and it didn't take long for the first bird to dive straight in there. I swear that as soon as I walk into that garden, they expect to be fed straight away! So after watering the garden, I sat down with a cold drink and simply watched the Sparrows tuck in.


Grubs up! Four House Sparrows tucking into the Mealworms and below, one taking a refreshing bath.

Overhead, several Swifts screamed through against the bright blue sky and both Herring and Black-headed Gulls wheeled high in the sky. A pair of Goldfinches popped in to feed on the last of the Sunflower hearts in the feeder (I’ll top it up tomorrow), while earlier, a parent Starling brought in its offspring to check if there were any Mealworms left, but sadly, they had all gone.


Several Swifts flew high overhead and below, the Goldfinches popped in again for a quick afternoon snack.

Holly Blue butterflies were on the wing in my garden with at least three fluttering around, while Marmalade Hoverflies were doing their stuff around the sunny areas of the garden. A few Bees were around too, but too quick to get a good look at them. That's the great thing about my garden; not only have I got the birds to look at but also the insect life today. I flushed a couple of moths too this afternoon; which must of been overlooked earlier today, which included a Common Marbled Carpet and a Heart & Dart. That's why I have so many plants in the garden and virtually all are insect friendly.


Above, a Heart & Dart moth and below, a Common Marbled Carpet which were both flushed while I was watering the garden.

Amazing news this morning was Dorset’s Forster’s Tern passing Hill Head this morning, seen by a few observers and photographed as well. That would be SOME Hampshire ‘tick’, but there was no further sign today. However, there were at least 5 Black Terns feeding in the Solent and another 5 more on Blashford Lakes this morning.  More amazing news comes from East Sussex where a female Red-tailed Shrike has been found at West Rise Marsh. It would be a ‘lifer’ for me personally, especially on missing that bird up at Bempton Cliffs last year.


One of several Marmalade Hoverflies in my garden this afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...