Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Long-tailed Ducks off South Moor car park.

Wednesday 1st March 2023.


A Dunlin near the foreshore from South Moor Car Park early this afternoon.

Another new month has arrived and so I had to go out and do a spot of birding. But where? The weather wasn't looking all that appetising with heavy cloud overhead and that horrible north-easterly wind still blowing, keeping the wind-chill temperature around 3 degrees! I got some ‘Gen’ yesterday about some Bramblings being seen near Warnford, but I simply couldn't be asked to drive all the way over there and so went local instead. The car park at South Moor seemed much more favourable and so I went there.


Above, a record shot of one of the Long-tailed Ducks near the Hayling Oyster Beds. It really was a long way off and the light was poor as well. Best excuse I could come up with!! Below, a Little Egret grabbing the attention from a couple of Black-headed Gulls while fishing in a small pool.

A pair of Long-tailed Ducks have been seen of late off the Hayling Oyster Beds and they were virtually the first birds I saw when I scanned the harbour near the Oyster Beds through the scope! A good start for me I think. However, I had to move further along the car park as two ‘Pot-heads’ were smoking weed in their Company Van and it was drifting in my direction. From my other vantage point, the Long-tailed Ducks showed reasonably well, but though they were swimming together, they were fishing a lot and disappeared for quite some time.


This Rock Pipit that was close to where I stood was sporting a ring on each leg.

I counted at least 10 Goldeneye within the northern half of Langstone Harbour, including four drakes that were displayed to the females. I also had a count of 26 Red-breasted Mergansers in the harbour, though there were probably double that figure within the whole harbour I expect. I was surprised to see so many Little Grebes swimming near Long Island, with a group of 3 and 5 respectively among the many Great Crested Grebes. There were plenty of the usual waders out on the mudflats on the ebbing tide, though a few Dunlin showed quite close to where I stood.


Above, a drake Shoveler was dabbling in the same pool as the Egret. Below, a flock of Dunlin and Turnstone flying along the shoreline.

Overhead, several Mediterranean Gulls gave themselves away by calling, though I could see quite a few around the Oyster Beds through my scope. Close by, a Rock Pipit, sporting a ring on each leg, was busy searching for food around the many small rock pools. It certainly was very cold here and my hands soon became very cold and so I packed the scope up and took a drive up to the viewpoint overlooking the pools at Budds Farm.


Above, this female Kestrel posed well by Budds Farm. Below, my first White Comfrey of the year was flowering from the viewpoint.

I didn't hang around long here as it was ‘Bill Oddie’ freezing here with that wind blowing into my face, but stopping just short of the hill, I took a few photos of an obliging female Kestrel perched on a tall bush. From the viewpoint, there were a good variety of wildfowl present including Shoveler, Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Gadwall and a pair of Pochard. A few Little Grebes, now in summer plumage, swam close to the small islands, but little else of note though to be honest, I really should have spent a lot more time here. A nice warm car beckoned and so I made my way back home for lunch.  


Above, this pair of Pochard were on the pools at Budds Farm and below, a large gathering of Shoveler were seen on the right hand pool.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...