Monday, November 7, 2022

Just four moths this morning.

Monday 7th November 2022.


Just a few brave moths were present this morning including this Double-striped Pug.

Rain, rain and more rain as we go into another wet week. Yesterday, on my Birthday, there was no birding at all as my family had other plans (I did see 3 Goldfinch flying over the garden!), but I did put my moth box on overnight and the total catch was just FOUR moths. Well, at least it was dry while I was checking them out, just before another deluge came down. I shall top up the bird feeders sometime today, which just might attract something unusual.


My first Tachystola acroxantha of the month. I think they can be seen all year round now down this area.

The moths present this morning included:

  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Rusty-dot Pearl

Light Brown Apple Moth.

I am glad to hear that the Purple Sandpipers are back at Southsea Castle despite all the work going on there to boost up the Sea Defences from the Council. Four birds are currently present there, which, hopefully, will increase over the coming months, but it will depend on how much disturbance they endure. Black Redstarts have been noted over the past few days there too with a single female bird seen yesterday by the Bandstand. Hats off to the brave birders who ventured down there in that grim weather yesterday. Up to 3 Yellow-legged Gulls were picked up at Ibsley Water yesterday and a Little Gull on Sturt Pond, Milford on sea; a species that I have not seen this year. A few Arctic Skua passed through Selsey Bill yesterday and on the day before, a Sooty Shearwater went through along with a Long-tailed Duck and several more Skua’s.


This Red Kite sailed over Ibsley Water, Blashford Lakes, while I was there in the Tern Hide with all the other 'Lazee Birders'. Photo by Pete Appleton. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...