Thursday, November 24, 2022

An hour at Budds Farm.

Thursday 24th November 2022.


Teal and Shoveler on the north side of the pools at Budds Farm.

As I had some time on my hands today, I thought I would try my luck back over Southmoor and have another bite at trying to see the Long-tailed Duck. Though I knew high tide was around midday and the harbour viewed from the Eastern Road looked quite promising, I didn't count on the strong southerly wind blowing over the harbour when I arrived at the car park at Southmoor around 10am. It was actually blowing a gale, with a few waves crashing over the harbour wall and though I had a quick scan through the binoculars over the harbour, I could see it was going to be a waste of time trying to locate that elusive duck!


Above, one of two drake Pochard (left) this morning along with a Coot. Below, Redshank roosting on the Pools.

Shame, as I was really looking forward to scanning the harbour through my scope, so I made a look at the pools at Budds Farm. I actually saw a Long-tailed Duck on here a few years back, but no such luck today. Though all the usual wildfowl were here again, there was a bit of variety during the hour spent there. It wasn't too windy here and almost immediately, a male Kestrel flew low over the pools heading west and a little while later, a male Sparrowhawk flew out of the nearby bushes and flew low to my right and promptly disappeared from view.


Above, a Little Grebe swimming along one of the pools and below, at least 6 Little Grebes within this photo.

Earlier, when I parked up at Southmoor, a flock of around 12 Greenshank flew high east towards the pools on Southmoor. They must have been on the Budd’s Farm pools earlier and now, replaced by at least a flock of 30+ Redshank instead over on the north side of the pools. Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Gadwall and a few Tufted Ducks were present and again, good numbers of Little Grebes around the pools with at least 15 birds counted.


Above, a pair of Gadwall and below, a Little Egret flew in and landed among the Redshank. 

A Kingfisher was seen twice flying over the pools and settled very briefly on the north side, but too quick for me to grab a photo. Below me, within the scrubby bushes, at least two Chiffchaffs were calling, including one that flew up and then disappeared into the vegetation again. A Grey Wagtail flew low over the pools heading east until out of view and a Little Egret flew onto the pools and rested with the Redshank. Heavy rain is forecast for later today and so I gave it a good hour here before making my way back home.


The Great Grey Shrike at Pig Bush, New Forest. Photo by Pete Appleton.

There has been a Great Grey Shrike present at the Pig Bush site within the New Forest over the past 7 days and the ‘Lazee Birder’ Whatsapp site has been inundated with some superb photos and film footage of the bird (see photos) and is still present today. This morning, 3 Little Gulls, a Great Northern Diver and a Kittiwake have been seen around the Lifeboat Station area off Sandy Point, Hayling Island. Selsey Bill had a good sea-watch yesterday morning with a sighting of a Little Auk flying west and up to 15 Little Gulls & 23 Kittiwakes going through, heading west.    


Film footage of the same Great Grey Shrike at Pig Bush, New Forest by James Cutting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...