Monday, August 8, 2022

Another Hawk-moth this afternoon!

Monday 8th August 2022.


This Hummingbird Hawk-moth was seen for about five minutes late in the afternoon in my back garden.

I think today is one day I will not forget in a hurry. I spent about 30 minutes checking out our Buddleia tree late this afternoon due to the fact a Small White butterfly landed on one of the flowering plants and with my camera nearby, I decided to take a photo of the said butterfly. Little did I know, I was to spend the next half an hour or so in the warm afternoon sunshine watching another three species of butterfly and unbelievably, a Hummingbird Hawk-moth

Above another view of the feeding Hummingbird Hawk-moth in my garden this afternoon. Below, the Comma butterfly came in also and spent at least thirty minutes around the Buddleia plant.

I was still basking in my own glory with this morning's Striped Hawk-moth, but to get a Hummingbird Hawk-moth in the afternoon really knocked me sideways! The moth showed superbly well and with my camera taking about 8 photos per second, the photos it produced weren't too bad either. These insects fly so fast that it was a job to keep up with it and focus the camera, but the results I was pleased with. That is the third one I have had this year in my garden and my wife is currently keen on getting rid of my Buddleia tree and putting in some ornamental one. Fat chance!


Above, one of the two Red Admirals present this afternoon and below, another photo of the Comma. 

Holly Blue butterflies were dancing all around the vegetation in front of me, but simply would not settle in view for me, but I had more luck with the Red Admirals and the Comma that took a big liking to my Buddleia tree. There were up to two Red Admirals in front of me and just the one Comma butterfly, but all showed superbly well in the strong light. There were also good numbers of Honeybees, Buff-tailed Bumble bees and a few Hoverflies on show, although the latter rarely settled but I do know that a few were Marmalade Hoverflies. 


The Cape Gull at Grafham Water, Cambridgeshire this morning; a first for the UK. Photo by John Manley (another Lazee Birder!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...