Sunday, July 3, 2022

Lackey & Common Rustic added to year list.

Monday 4th July 2022.


My first Lackey moth of the year, which was hiding behind the moth box.

I have a day off today and therefore it was on the moth box last night, though knowing it was going to be a cloudless cool night as well. I awoke just a few minutes before 5am and therefore rushed into the garden as quickly as I could in case the Sparrows were gorging on my  moths, however, I was in luck as there were none to be seen around the box. Yes, they were there but ‘chirruping’ loudly in the neighbouring trees and bushes. A solitary Goldfinch was feeding on my sunflower hearts as I checked out the box and its contents.


Another new moth for my year list, the Common Rustic. 

There was yet another Elephant Hawk-moth on the outside egg tray this morning as I carefully picked it up and placed it within one of the hanging baskets and nearby, my first Lackey moth of the year. Within the box, there was also my first Common Rustic of the year; a tricky species as there are so many guises of this small macro moth. A total of 31 moths of 21 species this morning. 


My third Elephant Hawk-moth of the year so far.

The following moths were present:

  • 1 Elephant Hawk-moth
  • 2 Common Emerald
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 Cabbage Moth
  • 3 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Lime-speck Pug
  • 2 Uncertain
  • 2 Willow Beauty
  • 2 Riband Wave
  • 1 Heart & Dart
  • 1 Common Rustic (NFY)
  • 1 Lackey (NFY)
  • 1 Light Emerald
  • 1 White Ermine
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Udea prunalis
  • 2 Common Plume
  • 2 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 2 Chrysoteuchia culmella
  • 2 Celypha striana
  • 1 Brown House Moth

Yesterday, there was a report of a Caspian Tern seen flying around the Dell Quay area in West Sussex and was last seen to fly west. It was then subsequently seen flying over Normandy Marshes, near Lymington around 12.30pm, but did not settle and moved on. There has been a small influx of this species that is probably involving a couple of birds, so it is worth checking out the Tern colonies here on the south coast. The pair of Glossy Ibis was still frequenting Farlington Marshes yesterday and a returning Wood Sandpiper was seen on Alresford Pond. Birding pal, Geoff Farwell, was birding at Oxenbourne Down yesterday and had the following: 2 Marsh Tits, 2 Firecrest, 3 Whitethroat, 6 Chiffchaffs, 4 Swift, 5 Common Buzzard and a Red Kite. He also noted at least 5 Chalkhill Blue butterflies on the wing there. 


Light Emerald.

Around midday today, Becky and I popped over to our daughters house in Drayton and while having a relaxing cup of coffee in the back garden, I noticed a couple of raptors soaring high overhead. I could clearly see one was a Common Buzzard, which was soaring near Portsdown Hill in the distance, but much closer was a superb Hobby, which was a real surprise. The bird got fairly close and though I had no binoculars at the time of the sighting, I was more than happy it was one. Also present were a few House Martins flying close by overhead and calling in doing so plus a couple of Swallows heading south. My daughters garden most certainly turns up the goods, especially seeing that I saw a Honey-Buzzard in the Autumn last year!


Above, this Peacock butterfly showed briefly on a gravestone within the Cemy. Below, Lady Bedstraw was still growing between the gravestones.


Later this afternoon, after picking our granddaughter up from school, I took her down the seafront and then on to Canoe Lake for her to play on the zip-wire. While enjoying ourselves, I found a Painted Lady butterfly near a clump of Mallow flowers, which was quite possibly my third individual of the year. Just a shame I did not have my camera with me. There were quite a few Med Gulls on the wing over the beach as we chucked stones into the sea. Great times.


Above, Mallow growing in clumps around the Cemetery. Below, an Ivy Bee enjoying nectaring on the Buddleia that was growing around the Cemetery. A familiar plant that grows here and enjoyed by good numbers of different Bees and Butterflies. I bet the various moths enjoy it at night too.  


Yesterday, I took Isabelle for a bike ride around Highland Road Cemetery. It has been a while since I have taken a walk around here and the local Council has trimmed the place good and proper, though with the lack of rain of late, the grass looks very yellow at the moment. Though busy looking after Isabelle, I kept an eye out for anything of note, especially seeing there were a lot of Buddleia plants in flower. However it was the bees that were more attracted to this plant with both Buff-tailed Bumble bees and Ivy Bees enjoying nectaring on the plants. I did find a Peacock butterfly perched on one of the gravestones and a Large White fluttering over the graves.


Viper's Bugloss growing on one of the graves among the Yarrow.

Apart from a few Swifts soaring high overhead and a brief view of a flying Wren, birds were at a premium within the Cemy, but there were a few notable wild flowers in bloom including a large sprig of Vipers Bugloss, a species I don't think I have encountered in the Cemetery before. The short grass attracted a lot of Birds-foot Trefoil which should benefit the Common Blue’s when they arrive.


Goldfinches in my back garden late this afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...