Sunday, July 17, 2022

Clouded Yellow butterfly over the Cemy.

Sunday 17th July 2022.


In the shade of a lovely tree. One of the Lime Trees within the Cemetery.

I took a leisurely stroll around Highland Road Cemetery late morning, mostly looking for butterflies if I was to be honest, as there are plenty of Buddleia plants for them to feed on. I knew it was going to be a hot day and so I took my time walking around in shorts and t-shirt armed with my camera. There were no moths to check this morning as I decided to have a nice lay in, but it will be back on tonight. Mind you, I did find a few moths on the wing this morning within the Cemy.


Above, a Goldfinch sharing a TV Ariel with a Collared Dove beside the Cemetery. Below, A young Herring Gull negotiating the heat of the sun on one of the neighbouring rooftops.


Thankfully, there were not many dog-walkers around the Cemy and there was no way I was going to walk our Scruff in this heat and so I took my time enjoying the nature within Highland Road Cemetery. I counted up to 15 species of bird within and over the Cemetery that were either seen or heard of which a female Sparrowhawk was the most notable sighting when it was seen flying over west high over the rooftops, being closely followed by a small flock of Swifts and a few disgruntled Herring Gulls.


Above, Cat's Ear plants were abundant on the grassy areas and below, A Small White butterfly enjoying the Buddliea.


A calling Pied Wagtail was a surprise, though I never got to see the bird, but all the usual suspects were seen which included the following: 

  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blackbird
  • House Sparrow
  • Swift
  • Wren
  • Sparrowhawk
  • Blue Tit
  • Herring Gull
  • Pied Wagtail

A Drone Fly on the Buddliea

There was also a reasonable variety of butterflies seen as I paid special attention to the Buddleia plants. Easily the best of all was a Clouded Yellow that kept low and headed north without stopping. Grumble, I would have liked to take a photo of it, but such luck. Still, a good butterfly ‘year-tick’. Three Common Blue butterflies were chasing each other low over the grass, but would not settle long enough for a photo opportunity. Other butterflies seen this morning included:

  • Peacock
  • Common Blue
  • Small White 
  • Large White 
  • Meadow Brown
  • Gatekeeper


The micro moth, Pyrausta despicata is a typical common moth in the Cemetery at this time of year.

There were several Grasshoppers heard ‘stridulating’, but they were quite small and difficult to locate in the yellow grass (there wasn't much in the way of green grass due to the lack of rain of late!), but regarding the Bees and Hoverflies, there was plenty about enjoying the flowering Buddleia. Buff-tailed Bumble Bees were abundant along with Honey Bees and I found a few Drone Flies (one of our largest Hoverflies) among them enjoying the Buddleia. I checked most of the Buddleia bushes within the Cemy and towards the end of my trip, it was getting a bit warm and so I slowly made my way back home. A few plants were on show and one in particular that grabbed my attention was called Cat’s Ear plants. Though a little similar to Dandelions, they have a very long thin stem and the head of the plants have not got as many petals.


This large Dryad's Saddle fungus was growing in the usual place near the Silver Birch trees.

Other plants on show included Mallow, Yarrow, Ragwort, a few Ox-eye Daisies, Birds-foot Trefoil, Field Bindweed and Lady’s Bedstraw growing on the water-starved grass. The heatwave continues and is peaking around Tuesday apparently and then some well needed rain is then on its way.


Swifts were flying over the Cemetery throughout my stay including this individual which I saw flying over my house a few days ago. Notice the missing primary feather.

Yesterday, while enjoying Becky’s birthday, a female Sparrowhawk flew over the gardens while I was sitting down enjoying the Swifts. A Hornet-mimic Hoverfly popped into our garden briefly and then quickly flew off over the gardens. Two different Common Terns flew over my house today; one in the morning that was heading east and also another heading east later in the afternoon. They regularly fly over during the summer time, either heading towards nearby Langstone or Portsmouth Harbour.




Above, a cloud of Gulls circling overhead were seen feasting on the Flying Ants early this evening, which included a variety of species including the Mediterranean Gulls.

Early evening and the Flying Ants were out and about as the temperature started to cool a little. This in turn brought out the Gulls and overhead, there were a few hundred Gulls that included Herring, Black-headed, Mediterranean and Great Black-backed Gulls joined in the ‘Fl’ant fest’ which impressed my family as we gazed at the sky above us. They soon dispersed and we noticed our own Ants were on the move on the patio, with a few winged individuals also present.



I have been trying to get a photo of the flocks of Swifts over my house and these were the best by far I have taken with my Panasonic Bridge Camera. Still, they are so entertaining as they screech low overhead. 

The Swifts were also in on the act with around 25+ zooming all over the place and around 8.30pm, they soon gathered together in one large flock to fly low over the rooftops and reasonably close too. A superb spectacle that our Isabelle enjoyed.



   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...