Thursday, June 23, 2022

A few moths at Portchester Crematorium.

Thursday 23rd June 2022.


Two Riband Wave moths were seen by the South Chapel exit including this rather dark individual.

A rather muggy sort of day, with both sunshine and light rain on and off throughout the day, but at least it wasn't as hot as yesterday. Again, busy at work and I was mostly working this morning over the Portchester Crematorium where I took full advantage in checking out the exit Chapel and Flower Bay for moths.


The Box-tree Moth was uncomfortably close to a hedgerow of Box Trees! I do not think the Gardeners here will be best too pleased with this species of moth here at Portchester Crematorium.

Though nothing new for the year was seen, at least there were a few moths to see and photograph, but with my mobile phone camera, they were not the best photos by far. The following moths were present at this location this morning:

  • 2 Riband Wave
  • 2 Small Dusty Wave
  • 1 White Ermine
  • 1 Box-tree Moth
  • 2 Bee Moth
  • 1 Common Plume

A large flock of Swifts were seen hawking for insects by the M275/M27 junction this morning, probably due to a swarm of insects above the vegetation. A couple of Common Buzzards and a Kestrel were perched on the lamp posts by the M275 as per usual, but always nice to see as I drove over the bridge northbound and a couple of Little Egrets fishing in Portsmouth Harbour as well. I hope to have the moth box on overnight and with possible thunderstorms predicted for the south coast, I shall have my rainguard on the box.


This gorgeous Puffin was photographed by me exactly 10 years ago at Dancing Ledge, Durlston Head. A return visit there is due I think.

In Hampshire today, a couple of Arctic Skua’s was seen off Hill Head this morning, harassing the many Terns and Gulls present. Also a Little Gull was present too. Two species I have not seen at all this year and hopefully, I might see them on Autumn passage from a headland. Possibly the two ‘Posbrook Flood’ Glossy Ibis were seen on Farlington Marshes today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...